Tires What Tires to Buy? (fronts)

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts) #1  

iMaBadMF

Tractor
196x Massey Ferguson 165
My front tires are falling apart, so they need to be changed. I know they're 6.00-16 tires, but I'm not sure what else I should be looking for like number of plys. This tractor will be getting light duty use and certainly not professional. I do plan on putting a front end loader on it. I see most as 6-ply tires. Any thoughts on whether I need something with more plys? Brand? Tubes or not? etc. I see what look like some good deals on eBay, but thought I'd ask first.

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts) #2  
You can also run a 6.50-16 tire on your front wheels, they are still 6-ply but can handle about 100-lbs more per tire. Since your 165 is not an industrial tractor that's about all the tire I'd put on the front. Plus for what you are going to use it for that should be plenty of tire. I have Farm King tires on the front of my tractor, and they hold up pretty good to the mesquite thorns it drive over all the time. If you have thorns to deal with go tubeless, with no thorns tubes are ok.

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts)
Thanks for the good info. Any thought on traditional style (the deep grooves all around the tire) vs a more turf style tire like on a garden tractor? The tire place has both, the latter being cheaper. I'm mostly driving on grass/lawn and pavement.

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts) #4  
I started doing some research for front tires for my MF50. I found that titan tires ( Titan International )bought Goodyear tire. I've always been partial to Goodyear

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts) #5  
If you don't want to tear up your grass/lawn with the ag 3-rib tires, a couple of 7.50x16 bias (not radial) trailer tires will work.

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts)
I took a look at my tractor this evening. There's only about two fingers worth of distance between the tire and the spindle, so not a ton of extra room. But I think there'd still be room for 6.50s.

I'm somewhat leaning towards the turf tires to be easier on the pavement since I do have differential braking, etc. I'll probably go by the tire place and see what they have. I could also flip the rims around so the tires are outwards, but rather not.

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts) #7  
You may look for some 6.50x16 bias ply light truck tires. The problem with radials tires are the steel belts, once the tires get cracks, and the steel belts get wet they get rusty, then boom. You could run 7.50x16 tires with MF part number 509893M91 front wheels.

/ What Tires to Buy? (fronts) #8  
Ribbed front tires are good for mud and loose dirt, however they tear the snot out of grass. The turf like tires are good on grass, however when you have a heavy attachment or are on wet grass they do not like to steer. The tri rib tires are a compromise. Unless your only on turf I would go with the deep rib, or multi rib tires, as there have been too many times I have turned but the tractor has not due to turf tires.