Buying Advice Early '60's MF 35 Utility

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #1  

shaeff

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF Utility 35 Gasser, JLG LJ500
Hey All,

I'm new here, went to look at a MF 35 Utility with FEL today. Hasn't run in four years, the guy drove it under a car port and parked it there when he got a bigger, better machine. It's got the 4cyl Continental gasser under the hood, gas tank is dead empty and ridiculously clean. I'm talking no rust, no corrosion, just shiny bare metal inside. All of the welds on the (davis?) FEL look great, no visible cracks, the hydraulic rams all still look good.

The problem is, the guy hasn't had it running in 4 yrs. The battery cables are both shot. He offered it to me for $1000. I'd jump all over it, but I have no way to move it onto my trailer unless I can get it started. Does this sound like a good beginning to try to get this beast running?

-pull the glass bowl and clean it (looks clean already), check seal.
-pull gas line off carb, make sure it's clear, clean screen in carb
-grab an extra battery, or jump it off my pickup
-shoot it with a bit of ether if necessary.

If I can get it to fire off and run, I'd love to buy it, but it's in a bit of a sketchy place (fierce dog lives there and if it gets out it'll eat me), but the owner said if I pay in full I can come work on it until it's fixed. My concern is that I won't be able to get it running at all, then will own a tractor that resides on someone else's property.

Looks like its a 6 speed, HI/LO with three forward/reverse gears. Throttle is not frozen, but the choke is. It looks very, very similar to this: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ge/334596-start-up-procedure-mf35-been-2.html

Not sure if that one has a PTO, but the one I'm looking at does. (and also a front mounted hydro pump)

Apologies for the long winded first post, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got to call him back tomorrow and let him know what I want to do, otherwise it gets sold to the next guy in line. Meanwhile, I'll be researching like crazy on the forums here, great resource!

Edit: another note- the owner says the bucket has down pressure, which is always nice.

Thanks,
-Chris

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site... Honestly, that sounds like a wonderful deal. What with your concerns about moving it, I'd hire a flatbed wrecker to come, winch it up and deliver it to your home/workshop. As long as the brakes aren't seized it should be all right.

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #3  
I'd have already bought it (if the brakes work good, and it steers I'd have someone pull me home, but that's just me). If you have to pay to have it hauled its worth it!

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #4  
Well worth the $1000. Getting it running or in a trailer can't be that hard.

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #5  
The tractor in my avatar had been sitting for 3 years, got it running 15 minutes with a battery, and some fuel.

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility
Thanks everyone for responding, I'll be in touch with the seller today. Hoping he will let me try to get it fired off on Saturday morning. If it starts at all and sounds like nothing mechanical is wrong, I'll be the proud new owner.

It doesn't seem common for catastrophic engine failure on these, and honestly it doesn't even look like it's been worked that hard over the years. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Regardless of whether I purchase, I'll be around here a bit. This forum has a good feel to it. Thanks again,
-Chris

Edit: also has power steering, everything is very tight from sitting so long. Not sure if pulling it home is an option. Wrecker, maybe.

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #7  
Fantastic deal!!!! I'm sure it'll run fine if the float in carb isn't stuck. Easy fix. Are the tires holding air? In sure they're rotted, but may be still useful for years

The two right side are holding air, the back left is a bit deflated, front left is flat.

/ Early '60's MF 35 Utility #9  
Hey All,

I'm new here, went to look at a MF 35 Utility with FEL today. Hasn't run in four years, the guy drove it under a car port and parked it there when he got a bigger, better machine. It's got the 4cyl Continental gasser under the hood, gas tank is dead empty and ridiculously clean. I'm talking no rust, no corrosion, just shiny bare metal inside. All of the welds on the (davis?) FEL look great, no visible cracks, the hydraulic rams all still look good.

The problem is, the guy hasn't had it running in 4 yrs. The battery cables are both shot. He offered it to me for $1000. I'd jump all over it, but I have no way to move it onto my trailer unless I can get it started. Does this sound like a good beginning to try to get this beast running?

-pull the glass bowl and clean it (looks clean already), check seal.
-pull gas line off carb, make sure it's clear, clean screen in carb
-grab an extra battery, or jump it off my pickup
-shoot it with a bit of ether if necessary.

If I can get it to fire off and run, I'd love to buy it, but it's in a bit of a sketchy place (fierce dog lives there and if it gets out it'll eat me), but the owner said if I pay in full I can come work on it until it's fixed. My concern is that I won't be able to get it running at all, then will own a tractor that resides on someone else's property.

Looks like its a 6 speed, HI/LO with three forward/reverse gears. Throttle is not frozen, but the choke is. It looks very, very similar to this: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ge/334596-start-up-procedure-mf35-been-2.html

Not sure if that one has a PTO, but the one I'm looking at does. (and also a front mounted hydro pump)

Apologies for the long winded first post, any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got to call him back tomorrow and let him know what I want to do, otherwise it gets sold to the next guy in line. Meanwhile, I'll be researching like crazy on the forums here, great resource!

Edit: another note- the owner says the bucket has down pressure, which is always nice.

Thanks,
-Chris

If you can get it started and check it out it's a heck of a deal at $1000 if the sheet metal is in good shape and it looks like a clean machine. If you can't get it started, it still MAY be a good deal dependent on whether the systems are functional or not. the problem is you just won't know until you can do some work and at least get the engine running. Even if you can't, you might be able to part it out and come out ahead. $1000 is on the high side for a non running machine but with a good loader and pump, it may not be out of line However these are pretty simple machines with 1940's technology in the engine and systems so unless there is major engine damage, they can usually be started relatively easy.
You have a good start on things to do. I'd add checking the spark and if it has a poor spark, cleaning up the points. pull the plugs and check for oil fouling ( wet oily deposits) or rich mixture ( dry, sooty deposits) and gap. Check the wiring and make sure the wiring is functional. Check the engine oil and the coolant. Drain the carb fuel bowl before you add gas. Don't be afraid of spending an hour or so trying to get it going. Your backup plan would be to hire someone to pick it up and deliver it to your place where you can work on it.

Your money, your choice.

The more I read, the more I kick myself in the backside for not just buying it on the spot. He's trying to push off all potential buyers for me until Sunday, which gives me Saturday to get it to fire off. As long as there is nothing catastrophic happening inside the motor, I see no reason it shouldn't run.

I just hope he doesn't sell before I can get back out there.

It would be a shame to part it, it's so complete and aside from some surface rust, all original yellow paint. It's faded, sure, but I'll be a bit worse for the wear in 50yrs too!

At this point, I don't even mind if I have to rewire the whole thing, there's not much to it and I'm good with wiring. I just need it to start!