1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help!

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help! #1  

Carl in CT

Silver Member
Tractor
1958 Massey Harris Ferguson 202 loader/backhoe
Any suggestions are appreciated. 1958 Massey Harris Ferguson 202 with Continental Z134 4 cyl. gas engine. Won't crank anymore. It kept stalling Saturday while digging a ditch. The genny is shot (I guess) so it always has to be jump started but then runs ok usually. Last time it stalled out it wouldn't crank again. Key on, push the starter button and you get one clunk, not a typical solenoid clicking, just one clunk sound. Tried cleaning up the ground and other connections and a new battery, no change. Tried banging on starter and solenoid thinking they are stuck, no change. I am contemplating a new starter relay and solenoid but don't want to start tossing money at it willy nilly. It is a 12 volt system.

I am fearing the starter is cooked (good luck finding a new one) or worse, the engine finally seized and that's why the starter can't turn it. The way it stalled out a few time then restarted didn't seem like an engine locking up though, more like an electrical problem. Pretty sure it has a bad head gasket. It burns oil, fouls plug in 1 cylinder, a little foam in the oil (yikes). It's old, I got it cheap 5 years ago for one big job that I did. I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on engine work, just figured I'd use it till it dies then sell it for scrap but I'd sure like to get this one last job out of it. I do have the full shop manual for it which includes electrical schematic. That said, I have no time or money for lengthy, expensive repairs.

It's stuck in the way of even getting a rented machine in there. Of course all of the backhoe pistons are old and when it stalled the backhoe went right into the 5' deep hole. The front loader is down and the outriggers are down so towing it is gonna be a task and a half. Hoping with a come-along I can at least winch the hoe up and chain it up as well as the outriggers and front loader without having to drain the hydraulics.

So I am just hoping someone might have some thoughts/suggestions.

Massey Ferguson 202 001.jpg
MF 202 wiring 003.JPG

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help! #2  
If I remember correctly, I once had to pull a stuck starter and put it back to get it unstuck. Banging didn't work. I hope that trick will work for you.

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help! #3  
The starters are by Delco-Remy, any starter/alternator rebuild shop should get it working again pretty easy. Another thing it could be is its hydro-locked, a cylinder in the engine is full of liquid (which can't be compressed), pull all the sparkplugs out, and try turning the engine over. If a cylinder hydro-locked you can leave the spark plug out of that cylinder, it will run on 3 cylinders, and you should be able to get it out of your way.

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help! #4  
I wish the one on my 261 was made by Delco. It needed a solonoid and they can't be found. I ended up buying a whole starter. I think it's a Chinese knock-off of the Polish starter that came on the tractor. Around $260.00, I think.

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help!
So the consensus seems to be that it's a stuck starter or maybe a hydro-locked cylinder then (or both)?

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help! #6  
I would see if its hydro-locked before getting into the starter.

/ 1958 MHF 202 Workbull backhoe/loader died, help! #7  
I wish the one on my 261 was made by Delco. It needed a solonoid and they can't be found. I ended up buying a whole starter. I think it's a Chinese knock-off of the Polish starter that came on the tractor. Around $260.00, I think.

I would sell the 261, and get a good old 165 (58hp), easier, and cheaper to get parts for it.