MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #1  

Drdan524

Tractor
M/F TO-35
I have an older TO35 with the Continential Z134 engine. After a few minutes of running the machine, it seems to fall flat. It runs great for about 15 or 20 minutes, but the barely idles and stalls under any kind of load. Any ideas what could be causing this? I just go the machine so I don't know how it was maintained before.

Thanks,
Dan

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #2  
Sounds like the coil has a small crack in it...once it heats up, the crack expands a little and the juice goes away...get a new coil and you'll be fine. BobG in VA

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #3  
I have an older TO35 with the Continential Z134 engine. After a few minutes of running the machine, it seems to fall flat. It runs great for about 15 or 20 minutes, but the barely idles and stalls under any kind of load. Any ideas what could be causing this? I just go the machine so I don't know how it was maintained before.

Thanks,
Dan
Is it caused by lack of fuel or lack of spark? If it sputters and then stops I'd suspect fuel delivery is the culprit. If t stops like you turned the key off, then it's most likely an ignition problem.You'll need to know that before you start throwing parts at it.

Start it up and run it till it stops and when it does, check for spark. If you have spark( fat bluish-white, the color of lighning), then open the drain on the carb fuel bowl, the gas should pour out like a cow peein' on a flat rock. If it dribbles or is intermittent look for a restriction between the tank and carb.

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #4  
Is it caused by lack of fuel or lack of spark? If it sputters and then stops I'd suspect fuel delivery is the culprit. If t stops like you turned the key off, then it's most likely an ignition problem.You'll need to know that before you start throwing parts at it.

Start it up and run it till it stops and when it does, check for spark. If you have spark( fat bluish-white, the color of lighning), then open the drain on the carb fuel bowl, the gas should pour out like a cow peein' on a flat rock. If it dribbles or is intermittent look for a restriction between the tank and carb.

If it was fuel problem, it most likely wouldn't run OK for 20 minutes before shutting down....BobG in VA

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #5  
If it was fuel problem, it most likely wouldn't run OK for 20 minutes before shutting down....BobG in VA

Depends on what the load is while running. If he's actually working it you are correct. If it's just idling maybe not.

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up
Depends on what the load is while running. If he's actually working it you are correct. If it's just idling maybe not.

The machine is equipped with a front-end loader and rear backhoe attachment. It has been converted to a 12 volt system. I have installed a new carburetor, a new coil, new plugs and wires, new headgasket because i was getting oil in the number 1 cylinder,new electronic ignition and i have new gauges to install. What has happened twice is I will spend 15 minutes or so digging a hole, then in one instance, barely had enough power to fill the whole back in. In the other instance, it had power for a little while longer but not much. When it starts to cough and sputter before it stalls, I can sometimes catch it if I drop the throttle way down to idle. But once it does that, I can barely get it to move. I am wondering if I am getting the engine too hot and it's through in off the air/fuel mixture too much. Thanks for the help.

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #7  
Gas cap not venting properly..??

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #8  
If it sputters and stops that almost always a fuel delivery issue. make sure there isn't a bunch of crud in the fuel tank. The early TO's had Marvel- Schebler carbs and they had a screen in the fuel elbow at the carburetor. They can get clogged with crud and restrict fuel flow. The sediment bowl has a small filter in it also. Make sure the cap vent is unclogged. look for clogged fuel lines

As the other poster said, you may have an ignition problem. So immediately when it stops, pull a plug wire off, put a paper clip in the spark plug boot and hold it near a good ground. turn on the ignition (MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE NOT IN GEAR) and try a start. You should see a FAT, BUISH-WHITE SPARK, the color of lightning. If it's yellow or orange, you have a weak spark. If you have the requisite spark, then I'd look to the fuel system for the problem.

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up #9  
I had a similar problem with my TO-35 when I first bought it and my problem was a bolt holding the battery box had been tightened down on the fuel line partially collapsing it where it passes over the bell housing. T would idle fine, move around at idle but as soon as you give it throttle it would sputter and die. The more load it was under he quicker it happened.

/ MF TO35 with Z134 falls flat after engine heats up
I checked the fuel line and it seems smooth all the way around the block with no interference. I also purchase a new sediment bowl, fuel cap, thermostat and gasket. I will install it all along with the temp gauge and sender. I will let you guys know how I make out.