3-Point Hitch little grey fergie....weak lift...

/ little grey fergie....weak lift... #11  
hiya Jerry.... if i reach into where the relief valve is (under the pto shaft) will i be able to tell if its faulty? should it move or is there something else i should be able to do? the diagram in the haynes manual shows its location but not much else.

cheers MF25

You won't be able to tell if the relief valve is faulty by feeling it. You might be able to take it out and clean it. If it is an adjustable valve, you don't want to mess with the adjustment because that is factory set.
There maybe some dirt under the seat keeping it from closing. You should be able to remove it and inspect it. If there is fluid squirting out of it with no load on the hitch than there is some sort of fault. It should only be open when the pump pressure exceeds the relief pressure setting ~ 1900 psi and should be fully open at 2300 psi.I heard a bit of a squeal from the you tube segment, but I can't be sure. Generally if the relief valve is opening there will be a high pitch squeal. Something is causing those bubbles in the fluid. Perhaps draining down the fluid will give you a better picture of where the leak is.

Last edited: