54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question

/ 54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question #1  

MF204Mike

Bronze Member
Tractor
1960 Massey Ferguson 204 1954 Ferggie TO30 1966 Sears Custom, 1974 Wheel Horse B-80
I just bought a 1954 Ferguson TO30. Sweet little tractor. It had a few fuel leaks, needed new gasket at sediment bowl and a brass fitting where the fuel line connects to the carb. Fixed those for under $10.00. So now the only other "leak" I have is the seal at the PTO. I've already ordered the seal and housing gasket from E pay. should be here within the week. The housing for the PTO is broken and missing a nice sized chunk where the treads are if you wanted to use a PTO cover. My question is and maybe I should have asked in the Ford N section but since it's a Ferggie I thought I'd ask here. I looked on Ebay and found a few "used" complete PTO shafts with housings that are listed for TO 20, TO 30, and Ford N series tractors. However when looking closer at the housing ends it doesn't seem to be threaded to accept the PTO screw on cover. Does any one know if the Ford housings are in fact threaded.

Thanx in advance.
Mike

/ 54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question #2  
Or ford housings are threaded for a screw in cover, at least the ones of that era.

/ 54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question #3  
Got a pic of your damaged bearing carrier?

/ 54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question
I'll try and get a pic of it when it's daylight kinda dark here right now.
So the N series do have the threaded carrier "housing" as I called it.

thanx
Mike

I couldn't find any parts list on AGCO for the TO30 and I found a complete PTO shaft and carrier for 20.00 bucks on E Pay, with around 18.00 worth of shipping I was going to go ahead and snatch it but thought I'd better find out if they were threaded or not, the shaft does look like it has a little wear on it but not being able to see and corresponding diagrams to see what exactly that part of the shaft rides on I am hesitant.

Thanx again
MIke

The part that the cap threads into is 181182M1. Here's a listing on eBay:

Ferguson Tractor PTO Shaft Retainer to 20 30 TE Tea 181182M1 TO733 | eBay

Thanx dbotos,
I didn't see this listing earlier when I was browsing E Pay.
If I knew the wear on that shaft I saw on there wouldn't matter I'd go ahead and buy that one. For under $40.00 including the shipping I think it would just be a matter of pulling the old shaft out and sliding the "new to me" used shaft in and be good to go. I've never changed one before but watched a few You tube videos and it doesn't look like that big of a job. I'm just not sure what would cause the wear on that part of the shaft. I saw a couple used and it seems like a common thing, wore in the same section of shaft.

Thanx again
Mike

/ 54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question #8  
Can you post a pic of the wear?

here is a link to the E Pay listing,
I'm just about ready to go ahead and get this thing just because of the price, I know I'd have a hard time finding just the carrier for this amount.

Ford 2N Tractor PTO Shaft 9N 8N | eBay

Not having anything to look at, shop manual, parts list etc. I'm skeptical because of this little bit of wear.
It could be nothing to worry about but then again it might be. :confused:

thanx
Mike

/ 54 Ferggie TO30 PTO housing question #10  
No problem. Are you referring to wear on the splines on the rear of the shaft (the part that sticks out of the tractor)?