MF 65, Perkins A4D-203, Injector timing

/ MF 65, Perkins A4D-203, Injector timing #1  

Knivens894

Tractor
JD 490E, JD644B, MF 65, Challenger MT 455
I have a 1962 MF 65 with a Perkins A4D-203 direct injection diesel which was just completely overhauled. I aligned all the timing gears per the manufacturer's markings, with the cam timed to the manual's recommendations. The tractor's manual says I should have a "C" in the injector pump timing window, but it is not attainable. I checked the spill of the injector pump on number one and the pump appears to be correctly timed. Does anyone know of a reason the "C" is not, or should not be, in the timing window for this tractor? There is no meaningful adjustment available other than moving gear teeth. Rotating the pump at the mounting bolts only allows for minor adjustments. The injection pump shaft has a master spline making it non-adjustable, so with the gears set to the factory marks, the front dowel of the pump drive will only allow bolt up fit in one position. Is the manual incorrect for this engine or what?

I have been waiting on a new gear reduction starter to crank the engine since the old one would not turn the engine at more than 100 RPM due to the increased compression. Because removing the front end is no fun, I have been waiting to button it up until I get this issue resolved.

/ MF 65, Perkins A4D-203, Injector timing #2  
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea about the diesel tractors, as I have a 35 gasser, however, is it possible that you've got your crank 180* out of time? (meaning, still top dead center, but not on the compression stroke?) If it's 180* out, that would throw everything else out of time, and perhaps prevent you from viewing the "C" through the pump timing window?

Shot in the dark, hope it helps.

/ MF 65, Perkins A4D-203, Injector timing
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea about the diesel tractors, as I have a 35 gasser, however, is it possible that you've got your crank 180* out of time? (meaning, still top dead center, but not on the compression stroke?) If it's 180* out, that would throw everything else out of time, and perhaps prevent you from viewing the "C" through the pump timing window?

Shot in the dark, hope it helps.

Thanks you for the reply. I had thought of that one, so I made certain by having both intake and exhaust valves on number 1 free with number four valves going down. The TDC mark on the flywheel was centered before setting the gears, then moved to to 20 degrees BTDC to check the pump spill for number one. The spill timing of number one seems correct, but to get the "C" in the window, I would have to move the gear 4 teeth. Today my new gear drive starter is due to arrive and I will attempt to get her running. I also went through the cam timing by setting the No.1 intake to 0.043 at TDC, then turning the crank in the normal direction until the rocker contacted the valve. It came back from the machine shop slightly out of time, so the three cam bolts were released and it was set to the TDC mark. Without the manual I would not have known the cam's timing was adjustable. Everything seems correct except for the "C" in the injection pump window. I will try it like this and if it does not run, I will move the injector pump gear. I'll let you know what I find.

/ MF 65, Perkins A4D-203, Injector timing #4  
Letter C is for regular diesels, your engine uses letter B with flywheel at 24 BTDC.