battery size for MF 50 (1959)

/ battery size for MF 50 (1959) #1  

tjones59

Tractor
1958 Ford 861
Does anyone know how many CCA's the battery for an MF 50 with a Continental Z134 should have. It's a 1959 and my thinking is to get the highest CCA's I can. The battery that came with it is from Wal Mart, is 2 years old but only has enough to start it once in a while even after a night on the charger. I'd like to get something close to the correct amperage back in it. Thanks in advance.

/ battery size for MF 50 (1959) #2  
G'day if you can start it once is it charging? I would be checking the charging system with it running you should get 13.5 to 14 volts at the battery I would do this first before grabbing a new battery

Jon

/ battery size for MF 50 (1959)
Thanks for the reply Jon. That does make sense but I don't have a meter and I run in to the problem of finding someone who does. Getting a mechanic around my parts is easy it's the price that's hard. I live in a agricultural area so they get top dollar and having them come out and check it will cost a lot more than a new battery. I've also had several Wal Mart brand batteries and have yet to get see one that lasts more than a year or two.

/ battery size for MF 50 (1959) #4  
G'day not sure about over there but a digital multi meter can be had for $10-15 from most auto parts stores and are a good cheap investment to have in the tool box especially when there are alot of people here that will tutor you in it's use.

Cheap batteries are good at the time but as a rule don't have the life of the better units BUT in saying that I bought a car once with a K Mart battery in it and thought that I would be replaceing it in 12 months or so but it was still in there 5 years later when a roo wrote the car off for me.

I'd grab a cheap meter and do some checking and let us know what you fnd

Jon

Oh and your thoughts are right, put the biggest capacity battery you can in there

/ battery size for MF 50 (1959) #5  
Thanks for the reply Jon. That does make sense but I don't have a meter and I run in to the problem of finding someone who does. Getting a mechanic around my parts is easy it's the price that's hard. I live in a agricultural area so they get top dollar and having them come out and check it will cost a lot more than a new battery. I've also had several Wal Mart brand batteries and have yet to get see one that lasts more than a year or two.

Clarksville is not that far out....Jacks saw shop could help you out for a charging issue. It dosent take much battery to start a Z134, Was it properly converted to 12 v with the correct generator/alternator and wiring? not all were 12 v originals