Oil & Fuel Massey Ferguson 135 questions

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #1  

hankscaddy

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
A couple of months ago, bought a 135 from a friend's neighbor. The engine feels very hot when standing beside it after just 10 minutes of running. The exhaust runs along the bottom of the tractor and I've seen grass smoking when it touches the exhaust pipe. I was wondering if this is normal and if there is something I should check if not. Today I was bush hogging and the engine backfired 6 or 8 times after cutting for about 45 minutes. I did notice a wire that was cut running down toward the steering linkage on the right side of the engine and wondered if it was possible that this wire was shorting against the linkage and causing the engine to backfire?

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #2  
Exhaust shouldn't be hot enough to cause grass to smoke. Backfiring also indicates a heat problem as well. Too much heat can warp engine parts. Hows the motor running audibly? Does it sound right? You might want to check the entire cooling system to make there are fluids in it and they are circulating.

Ive never worked on or had a Massey 135, I'm just going on engine generalities when it comes to heat and heat problems

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #3  
I'm afraid we are gonna need more data....I'm assuming its a gas engine...3 cyl, or 4 cyl? It should have a temp gauge?? Does it have a Tach? (reasoning here is there were 2 different 4 cyl engines, Z134 or Z145 (the Z145 will have the Tach and a 2 stage clutch, the unit without the Tach will be the Z134 engine and a single stage clutch....also potentially the thermostat may be stuck shut??? Good luck.. BobG in VA

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions
The temp gauge shows the temp to be fine and it does have a tach. It's a 4 cylinder. are there specific troubleshooting steps should I take?

I'm afraid we are gonna need more data....I'm assuming its a gas engine...3 cyl, or 4 cyl? It should have a temp gauge?? Does it have a Tach? (reasoning here is there were 2 different 4 cyl engines, Z134 or Z145 (the Z145 will have the Tach and a 2 stage clutch, the unit without the Tach will be the Z134 engine and a single stage clutch....also potentially the thermostat may be stuck shut??? Good luck.. BobG in VA

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #5  
Back firing indicates the timing is off, which would also cause it to run hot.

I would read up on the timing for your specific engine and check yours.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #6  
Timing may be part of the culprit...when you first start it, does it idle good? When the temp guage starts to move it should move into the green operating area and then drop back to close to the start of the operating temp area. Here's another question: Does your intake/exhaust manifold have the "shield" above it (kind of looks like a sheet metal semi-circle above the manifold...if its not there, you may be "boiling" the gas in the gas tank and creating issues in the carb, which will make the engine run rough/cut off....ie. good fuel ain't gettin' to the cyls. When cold if the engine starts quickly (my 4cyl Continental starts on the first rotation) and idles good, I'm guessing that the timing will be OK...if the temp guage is reading correctly, look for the fuel issue.. let us know. BobG in VA

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #7  
A couple of months ago, bought a 135 from a friend's neighbor. The engine feels very hot when standing beside it after just 10 minutes of running. The exhaust runs along the bottom of the tractor and I've seen grass smoking when it touches the exhaust pipe. I was wondering if this is normal and if there is something I should check if not. Today I was bush hogging and the engine backfired 6 or 8 times after cutting for about 45 minutes. I did notice a wire that was cut running down toward the steering linkage on the right side of the engine and wondered if it was possible that this wire was shorting against the linkage and causing the engine to backfire?

Too lean a fuel/air ratio and/or retarded ignition timing can cause high exhaust gas temperatures. Make sure the mixture is set correctly, the initial timing is correct, and the centrifugal advance is working correctly.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #8  

My guess also would be ignition timing which would create that symptom.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #9  
I had this problem and the advance in the distributor had a screw too long which froze the centrifical advance. Once I cleared that up all was well.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 questions #10  
G'day Kid.
The old long screw :thumbsup:
Hutch.