Can't find much info on this old tractor

/ Can't find much info on this old tractor #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
As the pics show it's been pretty much taken over by birds having sat in a barn for over 10 years. I'm told it's a 1957 model and runs fine. Need to get a new battery to try and start it. Anyone familiar with this model tractor?
Tractor_3.jpg | Tractor_1.jpg | Tractor_2.jpg

/ Can't find much info on this old tractor #2  
Massey Ferguson 50?

/ Can't find much info on this old tractor #4  
While not an expert on vintage tractors I would guess it is one of the last Ferguson tractors built in Detroit.

Harry Ferguson, an Anglo-Irishman, developed and patented the tractor Three Point Hitch. He licensed the Three Point Hitch and his tractor design to Henry Ford, who mass produced the Ford 9N (1939), 2N and 8N from Ferguson's design. Later Ford and Ferguson divorced. Ferguson then manufactured tractors, begining in October 1949, on his own in Detroit before selling to Massey-Harris in 1953, which soon changed its name from Massey-Harris to Massey-Ferguson.

The red 'Massey' paint is a clue. As is the swept around radiator body work. The gray paint is also a clue. It indicates tractor originated in the Detroit Ferguson factory. I am guessing (first) you have a late Ferguson F-40 or (second) one of the first Massey-Harris 50s, which shortly became the Massey-Ferguson 50. The transition tractors are a little difficult to identify. Certainly one of the best engineered, carefully built tractors of its day. Lucky find; tires are hardly worn.

LINKS (2): TractorData.com Massey Ferguson F4 tractor information

TractorData.com Massey-Harris 5 tractor information

Check the fluids, drain the old gas and fuel with non-ethanol, turn the engine by hand to make sure it is 'free' before attempting to start. If it starts, drain and replace all the old fluids, change all the filters within 1/4 engine hour.

You will find more useful Ferguson information available on vintage tractor web sites than here.

LINK TO TBN ARCHIVE: Google:TBN

This Ford tractor site has quite a bit of Ferguson information: N Tractor Club

Amazon and e-Bay have books on Harry Ferguson and Ferguson tractors. Also, check e-Bay/U.K. books.

Last edited:
   / Can't find much info on this old tractor
It could well be... a serial number, on a tag on the rear left side tractor sort of tucked under the bonnet (hood) would help to confirm.

Ah-- I'll check that. Thanks.

/ Can't find much info on this old tractor
Great info-- thanks much. I'll check out the links.

While not an expert on vintage tractors I would guess it is one of the last Ferguson tractors built in Detroit.

Harry Ferguson, an Anglo-Irishman, developed and patented the tractor Three Point Hitch. He licensed the Three Point Hitch and his tractor design to Henry Ford, who mass produced the Ford 9N (1939), 2N and 8N from Ferguson's design. Later Ford and Ferguson divorced. Ferguson then manufactured tractors, begining in October 1949, on his own in Detroit before selling to Massey-Harris in 1953, which soon changed its name from Massey-Harris to Massey-Ferguson.

The red 'Massey' paint is a clue. As is the swept around radiator body work. The gray paint is also a clue. It indicates tractor originated in the Detroit Ferguson factory. I am guessing (first) you have a late Ferguson F-40 or (second) one of the first Massey-Harris 50s, which shortly became the Massey-Ferguson 50. The transition tractors are a little difficult to identify. Certainly one of the best engineered, carefully built tractors of its day. Lucky find; tires are hardly worn.

LINKS (2): TractorData.com Massey Ferguson F4 tractor information

TractorData.com Massey-Harris 5 tractor information

Check the fluids, drain the old gas and fuel with non-ethanol, turn the engine by hand to make sure it is 'free' before attempting to start. If it starts, drain and replace all the old fluids, change all the filters within 1/4 engine hour.

You will find more useful Ferguson information available on vintage tractor web sites than here.

LINK TO TBN ARCHIVE: Google:TBN

This Ford tractor site has quite a bit of Ferguson information: N Tractor Club

Amazon and e-Bay have books on Harry Ferguson and Ferguson tractors. Also, check e-Bay/U.K. books.

/ Can't find much info on this old tractor #9  
As you sit on the tractor on your left side on side of the engine you (hopefully) will find engine plate...I'm betting it says its a Contenintal Z134 engine, which was put on MF 50 tractors. If it has a tach, it will most surely also have a 2 stage clutch (this would be good news). Take the spark plugs out before you try and turn over the engine as this will help the oil pump "pump up" pressure to the upper engine (If it was me, I'd drain the oil and replace it before I tried this). Also be sure and push in the clutch before you try and turn it over, just in case the plates have frozen together. Mo' pics pls! It looks like a perfect candidate for re-hab! BobG in VA

/ Can't find much info on this old tractor #10  
Is that a stylized chrome bird on the bonnet? It looks a lot like my 59 MF 65. Except I have the diesel.