Where to next

/ Where to next #1  

mdpatterson70

Tractor
iseki tx1500f, mf135 delux, allis-chalmers d14 industrial
I performed an inframe overhaul, overhauled the carburetor and set air mixture one turn and main mixture 1 1/4 turn. Tappets set static at .015 for both. I set the timing at 26ー BTDC at normal operating heat. High idle. I need advice because i am still getting backfire and the advance is erratic and bounces all around 26ー.
Could my problem now be with the old distributor and points? I can crank it right up but once i give it gas it is a little rough and sluggish. I'm new to massey ferguson and wrench turning in general but I have been following the shop manual pretty close and now i am stumped. In gear it just sputters all over the place. Thank you in advance for taking the time out of you day to consider a possible solution.

/ Where to next #2  
Sounds like a distributor issue but you may still have a carb issue too. Grab the distributor shaft and see if you can move it side to side. If you can, it's toast. Most had replaceable bushings and can be rebuilt. If the shaft is badly worn, it can be rebuilt too but takes a machinist. Also check wear on the gear. Sometimes it's more cost efficient to just replace the distributor if available.

/ Where to next
Thanks for the info. The shaft appeared snug when moving from side to side. I replaced the spark plugs, points, condenser, rotary cap and cleaned the distributor cap contact points really well with a brass brush on my dremmel. Anyway I can get it running about 95% with setting the advance 26° btdc. Everyonce in awhile it will have a very small "glug" almost like a hiccup. And thats when i see my 26° but with the timing light i cannot get it to stay in the window, it just bounces all over the place and when the hiccup happens; is the only time I can see my timing mark. I just cannot get it just perfect though. ANY SUGGESTIONS

/ Where to next
Thanks for the info. The shaft appeared snug when moving from side to side. I replaced the spark plugs, points, condenser, rotary cap and cleaned the distributor cap contact points really well with a brass brush on my dremmel. Anyway I can get it running about 95% with setting the advance 26ー btdc. Everyonce in awhile it will have a very small "glug" almost like a hiccup. And thats when i see my 26ー but with the timing light i cannot get it to stay in the window, it just bounces all over the place and when the hiccup happens; is the only time I can see my timing mark. I just cannot get it just perfect though. ANY SUGGESTIONS

/ Where to next #5  
Ignition wires and/or coil.

Bruce

/ Where to next
My generator had to be fiddled with to get it back to throwing a spark. Will the generator have these symptoms if it is going bad and is it feasible to rebuild it. If not what alternator will work wth this MF134 with Z145 deluxe engine.thank you for your precious time. I really do appreciate the help.

/ Where to next #7  
I had problems with a distributor that had a very sticky advance mechanism. Any chance it could be your problem ?

/ Where to next
I had problems with a distributor that had a very sticky advance mechanism. Any chance it could be your problem ?

I'm not sure. I don't know anything about distributors other than changing the points and cap. I guess its time to learn. So I'm looking for a stuck advance? We will see. Thanks for the advice.

/ Where to next
Well i had myneighbor come over and look at it, he ownes a MF35 and is very familiar with these trsctors. Anyway, turns out the distributor cap was defective and adjustments needed for the governor. After making the changes we now have it purring like a kitten. Thanks for all the help!!!!! Now time to bushhog..

/ Where to next #10  
Well i had myneighbor come over and look at it, he ownes a MF35 and is very familiar with these trsctors. Anyway, turns out the distributor cap was defective and adjustments needed for the governor. After making the changes we now have it purring like a kitten. Thanks for all the help!!!!! Now time to bushhog..
Awesome! Enjoy putting that machine to work!