New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #1  

dieselman1967

Tractor
1967 Ford 2000, 1951 John Deere Model A, 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 Diesel
Hey guys!

Yesterday I went and picked up my new to me 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 Diesel. My Great Uncle, who is 91 years old, bought it brand new in 1974 and was the only owner of it. It was his main tractor on his 60 acre horse farm. Anyhow, when we got there yesterday it had been sitting in the barn for 2 years untouched. We put a new battery in it, topped the oil off, and the dang thing started in less than 1 revolution of the engine. My Ford 2000 gasser doesn't even start that easily after sitting 2 weeks! These Perkins diesels are amazing.

It does need a little bit of work though. All of the loader cylinders leak and need to be rebuilt, as well as all new hydraulic hoses. The 3 point hitch also doesn't work right now (It is in the down position and will not raise). The rear axle seals also leak. But I don't mind putting in some work since it was my Uncle's. This is one tractor that will definitely never be sold. I'll post some pictures up once it's off the trailer.

Last edited:
   / New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #2  
Good story, you'll enjoy fixing up a family tractor....! I'm sure your uncle is happy it is in good hands.

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #3  
Always good to see/read yesterday iron still pulling there weight....enjoy.

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #4  
My dad has a 1974 mf 135 that I've spent a lot of time on, and my father-in-law has a mf150 like yours, both with the Perkins diesel. You've got a fine piece of equipment there...

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150
Thanks guys!

Tractor is unloaded and in the barn. Still confused about the 3 point hitch not working though. We topped off the fluid with UTF. The loader works fine (the controls are mounted on top of the transmission), but the 3 point won't raise at all.

Anyone have any ideas/recommendations?

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #6  
How many levers are on the block mounted on top the trans for the loader? My dad's mf135 has 3, 2 for loader, 3rd seems to divert 3ph control to loader, and it will severely inhibit 3ph operation when in a certain position.

Otherwise...

Being able to lift the lower links by hand is normal, as there is no down pressure on the lift cylinder. My dad had an issue with his when I was very young, <6 y/o, so I can't give any insight as to what the problem was.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

How many levers are on the block mounted on top the trans for the loader? My dad's mf135 has 3, 2 for loader, 3rd seems to divert 3ph control to loader, and it will severely inhibit 3ph operation when in a certain position.

Otherwise...

Being able to lift the lower links by hand is normal, as there is no down pressure on the lift cylinder. My dad had an issue with his when I was very young, <6 y/o, so I can't give any insight as to what the problem was.

There are 3 levers. 1 raises the loader, 1 curls the bucket, and my Uncle thought the 3rd one was for the rear remote, but he couldn't remember for sure so I haven't messed with it. I'll do some more messing with it when I get home from work today

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #9  
Try shoving that third lever all the way forward...

If I recall, dad's has a detent to hold it forward, in the "normal 3ph operation not using the loader" position, click it back to the middle for loader work, with the 3ph hight control all the way up and draft control lever all the way up to 'constant pumping'.

Keep in mind, dad's is a mf135, which I believe has a lower GPM hydraulic pump (3.5 GPM vs 10 GPM), so the loader vs 3ph prioritization of hydraulic fluid may not be an issue for you.

Play with the levers, both loader and 3ph controls. Hope it works!

/ New 1974 Massey Ferguson 150 #10  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun.
My MF was a 1964 MF135 diesel with MultiPower. $3600 from a neighbor. He used it to mow and disc his olive orchard. The tractor was lowered for that kind of work.

MF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

Good luck