Transmission Oil Change and Filters MF135

/ Transmission Oil Change and Filters MF135 #1  

johmarq

Tractor
1951 Ferguson Tea20 & 1968 Massey Ferguson MF135
Hi Guys, Very new to the forum,looking for a little help
I've just picked up a 1968 MF135 and it has milk coffee for transmission oil
Probably explains why the Multipower doesn't work, and the hydros are jerky on lifting
I'm going to do replace the oil and filters,
Now my question is does the multipower pump have its own filter or does it use the main hydraulic pumps filter?
I've scoured the workshop manual and the web and I can only find vague references to a multipower filter.
located just in front or the main filter, but my service manual doesn't show one.

Is there one? where is it? whats it look like? and how do you remove to clean it?

Thanks in advance. John

/ Transmission Oil Change and Filters MF135 #2  
G'day Johmarq, welcome to TBN! :thumbsup: I'm not at all familiar with M/Power - never driven a tractor equipped with it. But from what I can gather from other guys' comments they are somewhat troublesome, and don't provide engine braking when in High (I think). Others will know, and hopefully help us both with their more informed commments. Otherwise, its about the most unkillable model in the best brand! :laughing: Well done, and keep it! :D

The 3PL pump shares the gearbox oil, which drains in two places. It's best to drain it with 3PL lowered, and straight after it's been working a while - the oil's been warmed and stirred up, with the tractor leaning a little toward the side with the drain plugs. Let it drain until it stops - could be days! If so, a rinse and drain might be a good idea. Holds about 28 litres of SAE90, SAE80/90 or Universal Tractor Oil.

/ Transmission Oil Change and Filters MF135
Thanks for your reply
I'm waiting for the Gearbox Oil to be delivered, I'll them have a go at cleaning the filters/replacing the oil
I gather the early Multi power 135s which mine is 1968 had a small screen (not really a filter) mounted just in front of the main Hydraulic filter
Later ( Year????) 100 series Tractors had an external MP Filter mounted just behind the injector pump on the left side
I'll take photos as I go and post them to help others
Cheers, John

/ Transmission Oil Change and Filters MF135 #4  
That'd be a great help to me as well - I'm not at all familiar with them.

How about posting some more pics of it? Looking at the small pic, it appears to be a twin sister to ours, albeit with a lot more paint still on it. :thumbsup:
Include some of your TEA20 as well - they're an important part of the family too. Very well known around Wentworth from back in 1955! :D

Will do,
I'm in the process of repainting my TEA again, I wasn't happy with the last job I did, The colour was a bit off.
This time I'm using a gloss enamel, I'll post some pics when finished.

I did the Transmission oil change today, as promised I have posted a new Topic with lots of pics, called

"Massey Ferguson MF135 Multipower Transmission Oil Change" in the Classic Forum

I hope others find it helpful.

All went well and my Multipower and hydraulics work great now Yipee!!!!

HooRoo from Oz, John

/ Transmission Oil Change and Filters MF135 #7  
G'day mate, all works well now - that's great news!

I just read your other thread - appreciate you doing that, includes several good tips too, and it'll be a good help for others.

Hope the respray goes smoothly and all turns out well.

:laughing: HooRoo from elsewhere in Oz! :D Pat. :drink: