Help Identifying Industrial Tractor - MF40?

/ Help Identifying Industrial Tractor - MF40? #1  

dmp2275

Tractor
MF 40
Hello,
Can anyone provide assistance with identifying/confirming this tractor?

I bought this thing for pretty cheap.. Always wanted an old Massey and this fit what i wanted (3pth and pto, 3speed hi/lo, shuttle shift, loader, diesel). it needs A LOT of work but i have the experience and tools to restore it to its original condition so thats what i plan to do.

First order is trying to confirm that its actually a model 40, as was advertised. Serial plate shows 9A 96509. I wasnt able to find any serial-specific information for the model 40 tractor online but i did see some number ranges on yesterdaystractors for 135 tractors that fall in line with this and would put it at model year 1970. The serial plate has patent dates up to 1966 which makes me wonder if its a little earlier than 70'.. but there is a 70' stamped on the bottom of the oil pan so that piece lines up..

Loader model appears to be the mf34a, i think, but its hard for me to confirm. There is no identifier plate as the driver side mounting arm is all butchered up. I will completely remove all of the half-assed reinforcements and redo myself or look for a parts loader to grab the mount from but ultimately, its all there and working fine for the moment (it sits crooked on the tractor which bugs the crap outta me). It has the following info on the control valve if it helps identify: Built by Parker Hannifin Cleveland, Part number 708 600 M91, Serial 00290083.

Ill get some pictures up shortly.

/ Help Identifying Industrial Tractor - MF40?
Forgot the engine serial..

/ Help Identifying Industrial Tractor - MF40? #5  
   / Help Identifying Industrial Tractor - MF40? #6  
My guess as year would be a 1968

I did check tractordata and while it appears to be a 40, so many of these things used the same or similar parts, i figured I'd ask for a general consensus from a group of folks that probably know more about the tractor than I do. I do like tractordata a lot though ��

Regarding the trailer, it's not mine but yes, mobile home wheels. I believe the tires are all the same size but it does look a little goofy in the picture due to the way it's sitting.

Murph, thanks for the guess on the year! That's one of the things I was hoping to figure out.

/ Help Identifying Industrial Tractor - MF40? #8  
I did check tractordata and while it appears to be a 40, so many of these things used the same or similar parts, i figured I'd ask for a general consensus from a group of folks that probably know more about the tractor than I do. I do like tractordata a lot though ��

Regarding the trailer, it's not mine but yes, mobile home wheels. I believe the tires are all the same size but it does look a little goofy in the picture due to the way it's sitting.

Murph, thanks for the guess on the year! That's one of the things I was hoping to figure out.

I went by the serial # on the 135 as these two models are about the same. I was quite surprised on the specs on the loader. Is your pump ran off the front of the engine?

I went by the serial # on the 135 as these two models are about the same. I was quite surprised on the specs on the loader. Is your pump ran off the front of the engine?

Yes, front mounted pump. Not sure what the flow is but I've seen different feedback suggesting 10-14gpm+. Haven't found a solid source to confirm the actual flow but the loader moves pretty fast. If this is the model 34a, it would be rated for 3,000lbs to full height, per tractordata.

Well, I guess I'll use this as an update thread as I go along with getting this tractor back into work mode. I have all kinds of problems to fix, with the first being steering and general maintenance (fluids/etc).

I don't like the looked of the oem shift boots for the early shuttle trans tractors so I took a $20 chance and purchased one of the newer boots from the 300 series tractors that use the 12 speed. Part number 1694126M3. Overall, it actually fits well! I have to pull the top shift cover as she's giving me trouble shifting into high so the boot will come back off but the only other thing I recommend would be use small black zip ties, sinch tight around the upper and lower orifaces, and trim flush to completely weatherseal. The boots came with some ugly clamps that are going in the trash.