About to pull the head on a1956 Tef feguson

/ About to pull the head on a1956 Tef feguson
I dont know how the Engine seized. Thats how I bought it.

The water incylinder 2 does seem to have come from an open vertical exhaust. I pulled the inlet and exhaust manifolds this afternoon and there was lots of water in the exhaust. When i removed it i had water flow out of the block from number 1 closest to the driver, so that exhaust valve must be closed.
Does that make sense?

/ About to pull the head on a1956 Tef feguson #13  
Check the exhaust manifold where it starts to go vertical, there should be a small hole( at lowest point) to allow water to drain from the exhaust and NOT fill the head and cylinder as you report.

There does not seem to be a hole, just some heavy duty corrosion.

/ About to pull the head on a1956 Tef feguson #15  
I dislike vertical exhaust pipes for that reason; even if you have an effective " flapper" cover over the top of the pipe, water can run down the pipe and seep into any small holes in the exhaust pipe or manifold. My neighbor's John Deere had water in the oil sump, and it turned out it was from rain water getting into the exhaust pipe and connections. When everything is new and clean and perfectly maintained, that should not happen. But, vintage tractors are seldom that perfect. The above comment about a drain hole is interesting , and worth keeping in mind. If you have no indoor parking space, keeping a tarp over the engine and exhaust when not in use is a very good idea. Putting a one gallon can over the flapper cover at the top of the exhaust pipe when not running also helps .

I likw the fitted canvas ones, but it would be hard to get on and off, with the vertical exhaust and the Horndraulic loader

Attachments

• IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 56