Anyone Lost a Spanner?

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #32  
Again, thought I would post this picture.

Now I'm no expert, but I guess this Fuel Filter (if your reading in the US then Gas Filter :laughing:) was just about ready to be changed......

View attachment 512511

Juuuuuust about ready. Seeing as you've got it off, you might as well change it.

:)

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #33  
I really hate to lose a tool. I dropped one of my favorite wrenches ( a 7/16 inch, as I recall) down into my engine compartment , and I spent about 2 hours trying to find it. I never did find it. A short time later, I had to take the car to a local mechanic , and I left him a note offering a $3.00 reward for return of my wrench, if he should find it. He laughed, and told me that I should just forget the wrench, and buy a new one. But, apparently he didn't understand that some tools are long time favorites, just feel right, and cannot be replaced ! The wrench is still missing, and probably fell onto some road by now. It was a vintage Bonney wrench, given to me by my father. I need a tissue.

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #34  
I really hate to lose a tool. I dropped one of my favorite wrenches ( a 7/16 inch, as I recall) down into my engine compartment , and I spent about 2 hours trying to find it. I never did find it. A short time later, I had to take the car to a local mechanic , and I left him a note offering a $3.00 reward for return of my wrench, if he should find it. He laughed, and told me that I should just forget the wrench, and buy a new one. But, apparently he didn't understand that some tools are long time favorites, just feel right, and cannot be replaced ! The wrench is still missing, and probably fell onto some road by now. It was a vintage Bonney wrench, given to me by my father. I need a tissue.

I understand, Mate. Seeing as you live in the "Northeast", why don't you pop over to my place for a beer and we can have a good yarn about yer Dad.

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #35  
I didn't find any wrenches but when cleaning out the used motorhome I bought, I found about a dozen girls panties, a couple bras and a bunch of t-shirts. They were all behind and under the bottom drawers. I guess they were overloading the drawers with underclothes and the clothing was falling out behind the drawer when they pulled it out. Rather than look for them, they just kept putting in new stuff.

Many's the time I've laid a file folder ontop of the rest in my desk drawer only to have it slide off, behind, and under the drawer when I closed it and many's the frustrated hour I've spent looking for the folder.

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #36  
This isn't about a lost wrench, but it may help someone to find a document that should be in the glove box. My GMC pickup truck has an odd glove box in front of the passenger seat. The box is open at the top, and my registration card fell out of the top, and got wedged behind the glove box.
I found it by accident when it unwedged itself and fell onto the floor mat. Gezzz.....who designs these things ?

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #37  
Three years ago repaired a old Farm all "B" that never had a starter just a crank that had clip holder next to seat when not in use.
Ready to start the engine would remove crank place in grill hole and place into the front crank. Roll over engine 4 times then turn on switch and quickly lift crank toward top the radius. usually would start running with no problems.
This time instead of placing into the holder left in grill and drove tractor about 100 yards and returned and shut off the engine. noticed the crank had fallen out so walked the tracks and back no crank. And would tell visitors that there was and old crank in the field. If found would like to get it back .
I still use a another tractor crank and never have found the original.

Also the Military trucks during the "Truman police action" in Korea were governed to 30 MPH. except most all had a screw driver wedged in holding the governor from working.
ken

/ Anyone Lost a Spanner? #38  
*ahem* - You called...??

That isn't a "spanner" Old Boy, that is a Snap-On brand 10mm wrench. I Can't see the other end, but I suspect it is a combination wrench.

"spanner" .... harumph. :D

Harrrrrumph yourself 'Jimmy'. ;)

A 'Spanner' is a precision tool, designed to fit the 'span' of a particular fixing which could be a bolt head, nut, etc. A 'Wrench' is designed to (grip AND) damage a particular fixing, being a Pipe Wrench, adjustable wrench, Monkey wrench, Crescent wrench etc. a.k.a. "A portable lathe" because of its propensity to 'round off' the edges of the fastener. (and you know it will as soon as you pick it up to use it ... )

Back to the topic: I wonder why the mechanic was even holding a metric spanner while working on an "Imperial" inch machine? :confused: