MF175

/ MF175 #1  

AARanch

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 175
Thanks for having me, had been searching posts for answers and have come up with a few. Still looking for a shop/service manual for a 175. here is a few pics of the new project. IMG_0916[1].JPGIMG_0915[1].JPGIMG_0914[1].JPGIMG_0908[1].JPG

/ MF175 #2  
Nice tractor

/ MF175 #3  
What questions do you have?

/ MF175
Thanks, my intentions are to restore it, since the evaluation on it seems good.
The Good
Brakes work good (a must have in the mountains I live in)
Starts right up and does not smoke (unless it is wide open cutting going up a steep incline then a little)
There are no oil / hydraulic leaks after changing all the fluids and filters everything was relatively clean after cutting for 4 hours.
The hydraulics are strong and responsive picks that 8ft bush hog up with no problem.
Multi-power works (never seen that function work on any of them i looked at)
Operates and runs smooth even under a load,
Temperature stayed consistent during the whole 4 hours cutting on steep inclines at 90 degrees F outside temperature.
The Bad
Needs paint
Some Dents in the sheet metal, I think I can get them out
The front bucket is worn out, all the mounting pins have worn elongated holes
Needs to be rewired and some gauges replaced (lights work just messy splices)
It will need a clutch in a few years, not slipping but had to adjust it to get it to disengage (seems suspect

/ MF175
The plug on the top of the power steering pump is that where i add or check fluid (no reservoir found) what does it take and how full should it be?
Also do I need to turn the wheel a certain way?

/ MF175 #7  
I use atf on mine 135, there's a filter inside the pump that probably should be replaced.

/ MF175 #8  
On the 178 model the power steering oil reservoir is on the right lower front of the engine (below the altenator)and has a 4 or 6 sided bung in it. The early models had the 4 sided bung. (Note there are two different shapes of reservoir.)

Multipower, ALWAYS ALWAYS use HIGH multipower going down hill, there are no exceptions to this rule. If any one says these tractors run away on you then usually they have shifted into low multipower going down hill.

Tip: got this from an MF mechanic, to avoid trouble with the multipower, pull the dif oil dipstick and file a line a 1/2" above the full mark and use this as the new full mark and keep the dif oil full.The front end loader, hill country,and a multipower and low oil can cause multipower trouble through oil starvation. With this tip we never had gearbox trouble in 4000 hrs of use.

Tip:don't use the multipower as a stop brake, it will wreck the multipower. It is meant to hold the tractor on a hill so you can start off.
If the brakes are dry disc they won't work for long, so learn to drive with poor brakes. I grew up in hill country, you had to pre plan your stops or you would stop after going through a closed gate.
The gear stick rubber boots and the draft rubber boot perish over time and let water into the diff. What condition are yours in?
What year is your tractor?
From the look of your metal work it lived in a shed most of it's life or it was in a dry climate.
Good luck on your project.

Last edited:
   / MF175
Thanks,
Will check out the location looking for the PS reservoir, did notice it has a new PS pump on it
I did order some new rubber for the shift boots had the same problem on the 178 I used to have. The only thing on that tractor that ever worked correctly was the Engine. It had lived a very hard life before I got it. Still almost got another 178 with a loader on it, right before I found this one. That 178 needed a pump and a clutch and too much to fix with the asking price.
This 175 seems to be ok and everything works.
I never had a Massey that the multi power worked on so I am satisfied with leaving it in high. I mow on the hills here in Low 2 and have to engage the diff lock when going up the hill and the tractor is leaned over to the side a good bit. The bush hog seems to want to pull the back end around if not.
Have ordered quite a bit of things off this site to maintain and replace some things. Still can not find a tach that looks like he original nor the length of cable that matches the measurement of the one on it.

/ MF175 #10  
To stabilise the tractor on the side slopes I reccomend you widen the track (width) on the back wheels. You will be surprised how much difference it makes, both in stability and in side slope traction. Also when going down hill, and you know a wheel will start to slide, engage diff lock, before the slide starts, this will either stop the slide outright or make a much shorter slide.

When the brush hog "drags the back end" do you mean drag to the down hill side?
Multipower, can be adjusted on top of the gearbox( hard or soft shift) and check for worn linkages as they can cause poor shifting.