Oil & Fuel perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #1  

Lyly

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165 Perkins Diesel 1972
I own 1972 Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel. Have used for 18 years, it developed an oil leak from the small pot metal or aluminum plate on rear of engine, about even with the manual fuel pump.
I was trying to remove plate not knowing it was recessed into rear of engine and broke the corners off before it came off.
I need to identify name of part so I can replace it. The plate has a small factory hole in it which I believe the
oil was coming out. What went wrong in side the engine to allow it to leak is a mystery to me.
I would welcome any help. Thank you
You can post and email me direct at: disgusted5@yahoo.com

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #2  
What colour was the oil? Black will confirm the engine as the source.
Could you post a picture of the plate and the location on the engine please?

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine
Thanks for responding I live in a rural area and no cell service so can't send pic.
I believe it may be oil pressure sending unit.
Is square plate about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 four 1/4 dia holes with a threaded boss in center for gauge attachment.

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #4  
Sorry, your description does not ring any bells.

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #5  
Thanks for responding I live in a rural area and no cell service so can't send pic.
I believe it may be oil pressure sending unit.
Is square plate about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 four 1/4 dia holes with a threaded boss in center for gauge attachment.
That is your tachometer plate. It should have a little gear in it that a cable can attach to. The cable goes from there to your tachometer in your dashboard. Also known as a rev counter in other parts of the world.

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #6  
I need to identify name of part so I can replace it.
Why not just make a replacement? You have the old piece to use as a template. You'll just have to find some steel that is about the same thickness and cut it to size. Thread the hole and you should be good to go.

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #7  
Google search for 1972 Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel Tachometer Drive". View the images, see if that is your part.

Note! There will be a lot of pictures that have nothing to do with that plate. But lots of good pictures of M-F 165s. ;-)

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #8  
Google search for 1972 Massey Ferguson 165 Diesel Tachometer Drive". View the images, see if that is your part.

Note! There will be a lot of pictures that have nothing to do with that plate. But lots of good pictures of M-F 165s. ;-)
Aha! I will look in a book in the morning and see what I can find.

/ perkins diesel, oil leak from pot metal plate rear of engine #9  

Never mind. I think this is what he's talking about. Perkins ad4.203 tach drive gasket. The picture is from another forum. It's not in English either, so I don't know what the bag says.

735050m1 is the tachometer drive housing part number.

731051m1 is the tachometer gasket

636762m1 is the block to housing seal 7/8" x 1&3/4" x 1/4"
images.jpega22040.jpeg