Massey Ferguson 135

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #1  

SCDolphin

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240: Craftsman GT6500
I am new to old tractors. Is the MF 135 a good tractor........what for series is it close to in features??

thanks

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #2  
Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the 135 Massey Ferguson just might have been the best utility tractor ever made. They are still a great seller. Well balanced, good power, VERY reliable, all the bells and whistles a tractor of it's day should have. They're comparable to a Ford 3000, only MUCH more desireable.

They have live power, about half have power steering, good hydraulics, easy starting, and VERY easy to get parts for. There were a few choices for engines over their production run. A 4 cyl. gas Continental, a 4 cyl. diesel/ 3cyl. diesel Perkins. Some had "Multi-Power" transmissions. That was a nice feature WHEN IT WORKS, but was about the only un-reliable option ever to grace the 135.

The only tractor (of this size and age) I like MORE than the 135 would be the 150 Massey Ferguson. It was almost the same tractor, with the exception of having a heavier front axle, better mounting points for a loader, and a bigger fuel tank.

I'm about as much of a die-hard John Deere fan as you will ever run up against, but credit where credit is due..... The 135 Massey was a tough act to beat. (still is in my humble opinion....)

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> They're comparable to a Ford 3000, only MUCH more desireable. </font> )</font>

Just curious,why do you say that about the Ford ??? I know nothing about the Ford...but I know the Massey 135 is a very good and popular tractor....lots of them around.....

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #4  
The Ford 3000 is a good tractor. The 135 is a GREAT tractor. The 3000 won't last as long under the same conditions. (I've owned BOTH...SEVERAL of both in fact)

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #5  
The 135 was a popular / awesome tractor.. still doing lots of work today.

Has a few different options than a ford 3000.. so it's not an apples to apples comparison. Nothing wrong with the 3000 that the 3400 didn't fix.

Soundguy

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #6  
Indydirtfarmer pretty much summed it up -- the only thing I would add is that around here (middle TN) MF outnumbers every other brand of tractor, with JD close behind. In my county, the 135 is THE tractor by which all other small utility tractors are judged. For example, my MF dealer buys every 135 (and 8N for that matter) he can find, then repaints them, services them, and sells the 135's for right at 5k, which seems to be the price for any perkins-fired, well-conditioned 135.

We have used them for years, and no problems. I just wanted more power...
SM

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #7  
My old man has one and he loves it. The only problem is that he only has an acre of land and we mainly used it at my house. Now I have the Kubota and the old Massey only gets used once in a while. He tried selling it a while back for $4,000 but no one would even bite on it. The only problem I had with it was that it had no power steering. That tractor is an awesome machine though.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My old man has one and he loves it. The only problem is that he only has an acre of land and we mainly used it at my house. Now I have the Kubota and the old Massey only gets used once in a while. He tried selling it a while back for $4,000 but no one would even bite on it. The only problem I had with it was that it had no power steering. That tractor is an awesome machine though. )</font>

I wish you were a little closer to here.... I have a waiting list of folks looking for good 135's. (Is it gas or diesel? What year?)

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #9  
It was one of mostly used tractor here in Turkey and still there are a lot. So, there is no spare part problem here for this tractor. I can send any part of it, even its power steering kit which will not be expensive even with its shipping (ups-like) cost, from here. I think Turkey is supplying all its spare parts of this tractor to the whole world.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 #10  
The massy 135 is a great tractor, and demands a good price, mostly from people who never used a 3000 . The massy clutch has to be pushed straight down, where-as the 3000 is pushed foward, much easier on old worn knees. Nah, just kidding, Later, Nat