I bought a MF 135--now what?

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #1  

muddwhumper

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson
I bought one at auction for $2300. It is a diesel MF 135. It needs new tires in front, and I am thinking of getting turf tires for the rear. I will use it for mowing and some augering for fence posts. If anyone has any model specific information please spill the beans. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The current rear tires are slightly mismatched (they have some funny twisted metal things on the wheels too??) It doesn't have power steering /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If I can afford adding it later I will, right now I am going to concentrate on fixing it up. I found out yesterday the hydraulic oil has water in it, so I will flush and fill it soon. Pressure plate in transmission was replaced recently. The steering has lots of play in it. Who has the best repair or factory manual on these old tractors?

I appreciate all the old heads around here with the knowledge they disseminate to use newbies.

Thanks guys
Pics will follow soon.

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #2  
It has 38pto hp, plenty to run 5ft mower and 6ft box blade, etc...

When replacing the trans/hydraulic fluid use Massey Ferguson Permatran III.

The steering parts should be available at your local Massey dealer or any Tisco aftermarket parts dealer.

Tisco also offers a repair or IT manual for those tractors. I can ship you an original owners manual if you would like.

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #3  
Forget about a 5' bushhog, it will handle a 6' like a hot knife through butter.
Water in the hydraulic fluid is not uncommon, the seal on the arm that is behind the top link wears out and if they sit in the rain it will get water in it.
Peramtran II is the only fluid you want to use in it!

What engine do you have, there are three possibilities: if it is a 3-cyl gas it's a continental Z-134, if it's a 4-cyl gas it's a continental Z-145 (the most powerful of the three engines) and also a Perkins 152ci deisel. The Z-145 engine has the most hp but the deisel is close and will do the same stuff as well.
A 6' boxblade is a good blade for the back of it.
a 2 or 3 bottom plow is good, I've used a 2 in hard (hadn't been cut in 20 years) clay dirt just fine, it will do a three but not the dirt I was in.
7' blade would work great, post hole digger no problem.
i don't know if I'd put turfs on the back. With ag's that are not loaded it is kinda hurting for traction sometimes as it is, you might just put ag's on it but don't load them full so as to not cut your yard up real bad, but don't put ag ribbed tires on the front if you don't want it to cut the ground, flotation tires may work better for that. The back tires don't cut the ground on a yard unless you break turn it, at least they won't cut it bad anyway.

Conrats, it sounds like you got a great price on a good tractor!

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #4  
He stated in his first post that it was a diesel, in which case there are two options a 3cyl perkins or a 4cyl "standard" diesel which is junk and should be avoided at all cost.

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #5  
The 135 had only one diesel engine. The AD3 152 three cylinder direct injection perkins diesel. The early TO35s had the standard diesel engine you speak of. A & I also has a better selection of parts for the 135 than Tisco.

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #6  
Hey Mud, Congrats on the tractor ,not a bad price on the the Ole Massey... Don't worry too much about the water in the trans deal ,all though not a good thing . Just keep it inside if possible and all should be fine. Mine had to sit outside and even though I kept it covered wind and rain still caused it get water in it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Before I built the barn that is...

As for the tire thing, Mine has done real well on the diamond turf tires (not loaded)in the rear and I use implement tires up front and was mostly used for mowing ,But I do used a single bottom plow to turn over up to about 12" without problem just for a garden although I wouldn't reccomend trying to plow a field this way /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All in all I like this tractor better than my newer 1433v but the 1433 has a loader which comes in handy.

picture of my 135 they could be twins /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ I bought a MF 135--now what? #7  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( He stated in his first post that it was a diesel, in which case there are two options a 3cyl perkins or a 4cyl "standard" diesel which is junk and should be avoided at all cost. )</font>

Hey,

The Standard 23c was only available in the MF/FE/TE 35 series and was not junk. Our MFFE35 has the 23c in it, and it runs smooth, has plenty of power , and uses the fuel as stingy as a Perky or better. The only reason we are swapping our trusty old 23c out for a Perky is parts availibility.

Also, The Continental gas motors were all 4 cylinders, and the 3 cylinder gas was a Perky.

Take care,

Will

/ I bought a MF 135--now what?
Here are some pics

Attachments

• 699725-Tractor pics 002A.jpg
    699725-Tractor pics 002A.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 560
   / I bought a MF 135--now what?
Does Wally world carry this PermatranIII? How much would a gallon cost? How many do you think I need? Is it worth the money verses Walmarts tractor lube?

Attachments

• 699772-Tractor pics 001a.jpg
    699772-Tractor pics 001a.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 384
   / I bought a MF 135--now what? #10  
Mud, Wally world does not sell permatran , It is a dealer item and is about $19 for 2 1/2 gallons I think...you will need three jugs because it holds about 8 to the fill line...

You might be able to use something NAPA sells that has the same CGI ratings? but the price difference would probably be negligible, so unless you don't have a dealer local I would buy the permatran