MF 135 Rebuild

/ MF 135 Rebuild #1  

Benahsboughta750

A friend has a MF 135 diesel (perkins) that uses oil (couple quarts a day). He wants to rebuild. A kit at the local parts house is about $400. Is this a good price? Is there a discount parts house online that can save a few bucks? Any words of wisdom about this rebuild.

/ MF 135 Rebuild #2  
He can't possibly be burning it...

Are you sure... rear main seal {couple bucks -rope seal}... but you must split the tractor...

Give more details, please...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ MF 135 Rebuild
The rings are shot, It is burning the oil, maybe a leak also, it is parked outside. Hard to believe I know.

/ MF 135 Rebuild #4  
Hope you are planning on buying/ordering that kit after you get it tore down. If you have to bore it out, then the rings wouldn't be a correct fit for the new pistons that you would have to purchase. Problem with rebuilding (only one I see) is you don't know what you need until you get it tore down and examine all components and see how they are worn. In line engines have a tendancy to 'warp' due to the heat at the ends of the block. If worn oblong to greatly, then boring is required to bring them back to the right dimensions, thus, new pistons as well as rings.
As if you needed to be told that. Right?

/ MF 135 Rebuild #5  
Scruffy, The MF 135 engine,AD3 152 Perkins is a wet sleeve engine, The rebuild kit comes with pistons &rings, liners & gaskets etc. in Oz so there shouldn't be any difference inthe U.S. Kerry.

/ MF 135 Rebuild #6  
G'day Ben, It makes ya wanna cry doesnt it. As an MF mechanic I have worked on a lot of 135's, in Oz a new 135 was $A 3000 back in 1970 . I guess the price of the rebuild kit is OK , about $A 900 .Be careful of rear main seal, 2 types,the rope stuff or a large single seal, the rope is a real pain in the butt to install. I would suggest that you purchase a full rebuild kit and have the crankshaft checked with a micrometer and if necessary reground and new bearings fitted. If you are doing the work yourself have the cylinder head and injectors overhauled by a competent firm . Also do not forget to replace the waterpump and have the radiator checked by a competent repairer, don't take shortcuts as it could prove costly later, if you can get an engine repair manual on the Perkins AD3 152 engine so much the better, take your time, don't rush and happy rebuilding . Kerry in OZ.

/ MF 135 Rebuild #7  
Kerry, you sure can tell I was an old gas mechanic /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif and not a diesel one! different train of thought on that one! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ MF 135 Rebuild #8  
I did a repair on one of these , they are fairly straight forward. Kerry is quite right about the rope type rear main seal. Also hand turn the crankshaft BEFORE you torque the head down, to be sure you have got the timing correct. Lastly , consider these as a large meccano set and have fun. I did.

/ MF 135 Rebuild #9  
Scruffy .
I have not heard such a load of C!!!!!p for such a long time.
Hutch.

/ MF 135 Rebuild #10  
kerry .
Both the Direct and Indirect 152 perkins engines have DRY liners!!
Hutch.