1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #1  

okiecraig

Bronze Member
Tractor
1972 MF 135 diesel, Kubota L3940
OK, need help for a first-time buyer. Been looking at MF 135s for about 6 months, found the following today:

1974 MF 135, 4000 hrs, diesel, power steering, multi-power tranny
Good sheet metal, tires, no blowby, no smoke, asking $4800.

The price sounds reasonable, I like the diesel and power steering, don't know a thing about the multi-power.

What do you think?

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #2  
For a 135 in good shape at that price, I would buy it if that's what I wanted. IMO it has few, if any equals in the utility class.

It's easy to see if the multipower works, tach it up in 2nd high / low MP and throw the lever. There is no middle ground...you'll either feel a instant ground speed burst or nothing.

If the multipower is shot, it will still pull in low but no engine braking. Engine braking in High only. Not sure what a multipower rebuild would cost these days, but if you ended up with $6k in a nice 135 with multipower, far from a worst case scenario.

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #3  
Sounds like a good deal. They run 5500-6000 around here.

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #4  
Usually what wears out in the multi-power system is a hole for a shaft to pass through in the trans case gets wallered out and the "fix" is to replace the trans case. However.... if it is wore out to this point a good MF mechanic can take the multipower system off and leave the tractor in high multipower so you will have engine braking downhill.
We had this done on ours a few years back, it would have been about a $2500 fix otherwise to repair it back to working order.
Like they said above, if it works you'll feel a snap reaction, if it kind of hunts for it it's on it's way out. Price doesn't sound bad on that machine at all, kinda cheap actually and makes me wonder if there isn't a reason it is so cheap.

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #5  
okiecraig said:
OK, need help for a first-time buyer. Been looking at MF 135s for about 6 months, found the following today:

The price sounds reasonable, I like the diesel and power steering, don't know a thing about the multi-power.

What do you think?

Not a bad price. I've seen rough ones bring that much at times. In general, most 135's in decent shape are selling at or above $6000 here now. They have a rock solid reputation.

The Multi-Power can actually HURT the price with some buyers. Some people are a bit hesitant about it. Just as it has already been mentioned, check it out. If the MP works, no need to be afraid of it. When all is said and done, it was one of the better hi/lo systems available in those days.

The Perkins diesel is bar none, the best little diesel ever built. They had a 50(+) year run as the powerplant of choice for small Massey utility tractors. A complete rebuild kit can still be had for around $500. You won't find anything else that cheap to rebuild. (IF and when it ever needs it) I've got one in a 150 Massey that has 3000 hrs, and has been the model of reliability. Cold started last winter at 7 degrees by just bumping the starter.

They are a breeze to work on. VERY simple hydraulic system. If you're interested, PM me and I'll get you hooked up with "Big Dean" Austin so you can get his 100 series MF CD, covering service and repairs. That and the set of manuals and ANYONE with any amount of mechanical ability can keep that tractor running like new.

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #6  
okiecraig said:

What do you think?

Are you by chance looking at buying this from "dancce" at Creek County Equipment? If so, I'm sure he'll stand behind it, and if not, you might check with him about the unit. He's probably familiar with it.

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited
Thanks to all who replied for your helpful thoughts. The deal is done and I will pick up the tractor (with brushog) tomorrow! Several pictures are attached.

Attachments

• 1974 MF 135.JPG
    1974 MF 135.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 581
  • DSC01672.JPG
    DSC01672.JPG
    887 KB · Views: 2,054
  • DSC01677.JPG
    DSC01677.JPG
    845.4 KB · Views: 589
   / 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #8  
okiecraig said:
Thanks to all who replied for your helpful thoughts. The deal is done and I will pick up the tractor (with brushog) tomorrow! Several pictures are attached.

Hey,

Nice Tractor!! Enjoy!!

/ 1974 MF 135 - opinions solicited #9  
Congrats! That's a great looking tractor. I'm hoping to have the cash to look for a 135 one day. A couple of career farmers I know say that the 135 was the best tractor that MF ever built.