MF 1533...1st tractor??

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #1  

CentralNC

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35A
I am considering the purchase of a MF 1533 for use on 15 acres of land I recently purchased. The land is ~11 acres of field (with 5 years growth) and 4 acres of woods. We plan to build a house within a year, but the land needs some work.

I want to purchase a tractor w/FEL that I can use to work on the land, maintain a long gravel driveway and a tractor that will be plenty strong enough for future projects. I was considering a NH TC30 until I had a chance to test drive a MF1533. The 1533 is $2500-$3500 more expensive, but it is a lot more tractor. NH has some better financing options than MF, but the 1533seems like a better piece of equipment.

I grew up in a family that had several tractors that we used on the farm, but those tractors were sold several years ago. This will be the first tractor that I purchase for myself. I have been reading previous posts on the forum and it seems that those who have the 1533 have had good experiences.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the MF1533? What tractor and implements would you suggest for my situation? Thank you for all of your advice!!

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #2  
First off, welcome to TBN.

My 1533 has been great. I've got 120 hours and no problems or issues so far. Plenty of power and lift capacity for everything I've tried to do that wasn't unreasonable. I had a little HP envy about a 1540, which is essentially a turbocharged 1533, chassis is same size, but I'm really happy with the 1533 so far.

For the work your wanting to do you'll need a 5' bushhog, box blade, a disc if you want to do any planting and maybe a rear tiller, maybe a PHD if doing any fencing, and a rear finish mower if you want a big yard.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #3  
I have a 1433 (predecessor to the 1533, same basic thing), it's been a great tractor and I use it HARD.
However, I should have done two things.
1. Get the 1540, exact same size, with more power, just in those little cases when you need it. a 6' bushhog is not much for the 1540, but it's quite a load for the 1533, etc
2. mine is only an 8x8 and it's not enough, I always want another set of gears, get at least a 12x12 (or hydro)

but i've had nothing go wrong with mine and I use it a lot.

Get the tires weighted, you'll be glad you did.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor??
Thank you for the advice and suggestions on implements. The 1540 was ~$6,000 more than the 1533, so I believe that I will settle on the 1533. I was quoted $18,500 with the FEL, 12x12 and quick connect, plus they will deliver and fill the tires with fluid. I thought that was a fair price.

My neighbor has offered to sell a 6' scrape blade for $50. Do you think that the 1533 will handle a 6' blade?

Thanks again for all of the advice!!

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #5  
That's a good price for around here. Be sure and get the 66" Heavy Duty bucket.

The 1533 will handle the 6' blade. I borrowed one that size and didn't have any problems.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #6  
I haven't priced any 1540's, but wasn't everyone saying the 1540 was only like $1500 more than the 1533? I wonder whether your dealer is trying to steer you towards a tractor he already has in inventory.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #7  
Yeah, the 1540 should only be like 1500/2000 dollars more than the 1533.
Something is fishy here.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor??
I think are probably right about the dealer quoting higher for the 1540 intentionally. He had the 1533 in stock. I have been reading through the forum and the typical difference between the 1533 and 1540 was $1500. I might have to check with a few different dealers. Thanks again for the advice.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #9  
I also have a 1533 and love it, only one problem with 160+hr, fender mounted joystick for the FEL would stick in the down setting, but fixed now.

I do run a 6' hog with no problem, but I have clean pasture and I have to say I have never gotten to heavy stuff down here in Florida, but I don't think there would be a problem. I have said it many times here on the forums about bush hog size, If you can buy bigger do so, you can always make a smaller cut with a bigger hog, but you can never make a bigger cut with a smaller hog.

If you can and do find a good price on the 1540, go for it... For the cost you get allot more then just a turbo and there is nothing better knowing you have that turbo power on stand by if you ever need it.

Just remember about transmission, if you go with the hydro, you will have 2+/- less HP at the PTO over a geared trans.

If you wish you can see lots of pic of mine, just click my sig below. Good luck.

/ MF 1533...1st tractor?? #10  
Welcome to the forums NC, you have came to the right place as you have seen alot of guys on here have great advise.

I don't have a whole lot to add but I have about 60hrs on my 1533 and I havent had any issues. However, the 50 hour service did cost me $250 at the dealer cause I didnt feel like doing it myself, but that just might have to change.

I would agree with what Steve had to say about getting large implements and the turbo. I have a similar land profile (~12acres) and I finish mow it all. It takes pretty much all the 1533 has (it's a hydro) to cut it going at a pretty good pace. I've never had a brush hog on it so i dont know if a 6' would be too much or not.

You seem like you have been around tractors when you were growing up and can maybe appreciate the speed of larger implements.

Those guys are dead on ... I was quoted $1400 for the turbo .... they had to order either tractor I purchased so thats prolly accurate. And if I had to do it again I would get it in a heart beat.

Hopefully this helps...