240 Massey Ferguson

/ 240 Massey Ferguson #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hello,

I am looking at a 2wd 240 Massey Ferguson diesel at a local tractor place who fixes up used tractors and re-paints them. It is not quite ready yet to sell they told me today.

The owner of the dealership wasn't there, but an employee told me that they were asking $6200.00 + Tax for it. Its got 2160(?) hours on the meter. Is this a reasonable price?

It has a new front grille, new seat, and new "240 Massey Ferguson" decals on both sides of the hood. Looks like it may have new headlights also. Also, it seems to have 2 new powersteering booster cylinders on each side of the tractor in the front, along with a New radiator.
The front tires are new, but are not the "ribbed" tires. They look to be street tires that go on a car (like for highway use).
The rear tires have a lot of grip left, but have dry-rot spots and cracks on them (small but noticeable).

I sat on it and started it up and Really liked the way it felt. But I didn't get to drive it because it wasn't ready yet. Also, it does NOT have a ROPS. Is a ROPS available for this model tractor?

Seemed like I remembered seeing "Made In Great Britian" on the nameplate. Does this make sense? It may have said something otherwise, but thats what I remember.

Also, I pulled on the PTO shaft in and out and it moved about 1/4-1/2 inch in and out. Is this normal? I think it has a 2 speed PTO also.

I know nothing about the Massey Ferguson 240. What are the pros and cons of this model? I do know it is an older one. I don't think it was built in the 90's, but I could be wrong.

THANKS A LOT,
Travis R

/ 240 Massey Ferguson #3  
In general, the 240 is a great tractor. It is a modern descendent of the classic 135. The Perkins AD3-152 diesel is extremely fuel efficient, durable, economical to rebuild when that time comes, and the tractor as a whole uses time-tested technology that is simple, basic, and simply hard to improve upon.

That said, it's all about the condition of that particular, individual used tractor as to its worth. $6200 would be a premium for an early serial #, and average for a later # with any significant wear. In other words, it's not a real bargain. (Based on what a 240 sells for in my area. Masseys are VERY popular here)

IF that tractor was in extremely good condition and you knew the history behind it, I'd say go for it. With the rather vague background, and some doubts as to its over-all condition, I'd proceed with caution.

If possible, jack up the front end to check for "slop" in front axle pivot and steering. And if there is any indication of a loader ever being used on that tractor, be VERY carefull regarding condition of front axle components. They are marginal for hard loader work.

I'm always skeptical of tractors that needed grill/radiator/sheet metal work and/or odd front tires and wheels. That MAY indicate a loader in its past, or abuse by former owner.

Power steering cylinders are cheaper to replace with aftermarkets than to rebuild if you can't do them yourself. (labor cost) The steering on that model CAN be trouble with a lot of hard hours use. Parts are available, and it is NOT a chronic problem. It is simply a case of a very capable small tractor that occasionally finds itself being used in place of a bigger tractor, causing premature wear on a few marginal components.

2-speed pto is a remnant of former years. The ground speed has very little real value. (Used to drive such implements as a 3-point/pto driven hay rake or manure spreaders) PTO shaft will make one revolution per every 20" of wheel travel, relative to direction of travel.

The 240's lineage dates back to the TO-20, TO-30, TO-35, MF35, MF135, MF235, and MF245. You'll see quite a few simularities to those models if compared side by side. Those are some of the greatest small utility tractors ever built. The 240 holds its own in Masseys history. But again, its all about the condition of that individual tractor in its used condition.

/ 240 Massey Ferguson
THANKS, Farmwithjunk.