Massey 235

/ Massey 235 #1  

Saggydog

Tractor
YM2020
Anyone have any advise on these tractors? I saw one at a dealer up here for $5950 with 2200 hours on it. They have it marked as a 1974 but tractordata.com indicates they were made in 1975-76. Is he overpriced? It looks to be in nice shape. Any info on these tractors would be appreciated. I will be using for bush hogging, garden tilling, and possible a little blade work.

/ Massey 235 #2  
Stay away, the 235 was suppose to be the replacement for the 135 but Massey cut a lot of corners on the machine (mainly a very poor steering system that is super expensive to fix...it WILL fail)...the 235 started Massey's downturn in the market and eventually lead them to selling out to Agco...I would rather have a good 135, but thats just me.

/ Massey 235 #3  
Saggydog said:
Anyone have any advise on these tractors? I saw one at a dealer up here for $5950 with 2200 hours on it. They have it marked as a 1974 but tractordata.com indicates they were made in 1975-76. Is he overpriced? It looks to be in nice shape. Any info on these tractors would be appreciated. I will be using for bush hogging, garden tilling, and possible a little blade work.

Unless it's in mint condition, that's at the high end of the price scale. They're VERY good tractors except for one issue. The front axle/steering. The 235 was essentially a modernized 135. The 135 was quite possibly the best tractor of its size ever, especially for its day. When the 200 series was introduced, the 235 took MOST of the chassis of the 135 and added different sheet metal, a few cosmetic changes, and an "improved" steering. The steering was "different", but improved it WASN'T. Lighter axle, simple, but not so durable power steering cylinders, and steering linkage that was fine for VERY light duty, but when you consider the capabilities of the rest of the tractor, they just weren't up to the task. Check the front axle center pivot for excessive wear. Check steering linkage for play. If equipped with power steering, check for smooth operation and no leaks on the cylinders. Parts are virtually nonexistant. Some aftermarket or re-manufactured cylinders exist, but get ready for sticker shock IF you find them. Massey Ferguson dealer parts men hide under the counter when they hear "235".;) If it's ever had a loader mounted on that tractor, RUN....FAST.... The front end couldn't handle the extra weight. The 235 was discontinued after 2 years of production in favor of the 245. And that 245 was a classic! (It used a steering and axle design essentially the same as the much heavier 255, but parts aren't directly interchangable) The 235 was introduced in the late summer 0f 1974, as a 1975 model. Production halted in mis summer of 1976. Some 245's were sold as 1976 models.

In short, a good tractor with all the bells and whistles that made all the small Masseys of that era great, but with that one liability. Weak axle/steering. If the steering is in decent shape and you're going to be using it for the relatively light duty you describe, they still make a real fine tractor. Just don't abuse that front end. There's still thousands of 235's in service. They have their issues, but it's not a terminal problem.

Should you end up with that 235, contact me via PM. I have a complete set of Massey Ferguson technical bulletins regarding updated service recommendations/retro-fit parts for the 235 steering and axle.

Last edited:
   / Massey 235 #4  
gamble77 said:
..the 235 started Massey's downturn in the market and eventually lead them to selling out to Agco...

Uh.... That's not quite the real story. In fact, that's just plain wrong. The farm economy of the 1980's led to Massey's "downturn" in the US market. Massey continues to hold a very strong market share, especially in the small utility tractor market. That went virtually unchanged for many years beyond the 235's days. Their place in the world market held steady. AGCO bought in after Massey Ferguson was essentially "raided" by a somewhat "criminal element".

The 235 had a bad steering design, yes. The reason for Massey now being part of AGCO......NOT.

Drop down to the thread below about "Massey worldwide", or Google "Conrad Black". That's why Massey sold to AGCO. Without Mr. Blacks involvment, MF would likely still be an independent company, and not a part of AGCO. And he had NOTHING to do with the 235, nor did the 235 have anything to do with Conrad Black.

I have to laugh when people blame the lack of success of a single model for the long term problems of a corporate powerhouse. Blaming the 235 for Massey's being part of AGCO has even less credability than blaming the IH 2+2 for the downfall of the old International Harvester if you actually look at the facts.

Last edited:
   / Massey 235 #5  
gamble77 said:
...the 235 started Massey's downturn in the market and eventually lead them to selling out to Agco...
Look up Conrad Black to see how the HE was the down fall of Massey. He has destroyed several very strong companies and is in court in the UK for that very thing right now.
Edit: I didn't see that FWJ had already posted about the ____.

/ Massey 235
Thanks for the input.

/ Massey 235 #7  
OK, ok, that was a blanket comment...what I should have said is that the 235 was really the start of some bad products from the Massey group. I love Massey's, I would love a 253 w/shuttle...BUT, fact is the 235 and susbesquent larger models lead many dealers/customers to falling out with the brand. It is not a desirable model any way you look at it...sorry for the poorly worded comment!

/ Massey 235 #8  
gamble77 said:
OK, ok, that was a blanket comment...what I should have said is that the 235 was really the start of some bad products from the Massey group. I love Massey's, I would love a 253 w/shuttle...BUT, fact is the 235 and susbesquent larger models lead many dealers/customers to falling out with the brand. It is not a desirable model any way you look at it...sorry for the poorly worded comment!
I don't know that I would totally agree with the new statement either.:D
I do agree with liking the 253. Actually I would really like to have a 263 with shuttle and 4wd. With the turbo that tractor is awesome.

/ Massey 235 #9  
Yeah, we sold a boat load of 245's (back when I sold MF), that is THE Massey to have in my opinion (I would opt for the 253 just for the shuttle and hp)...anyway...235 be darn Massey has come on here in the 5 years with some very nice machines and I believe Agco is finally getting their act together.

/ Massey 235 #10  
I have a 235 m f and have had no issues with he steering. When they were new they had a recall on them. Th gears in the gearbox were shearing th teeth off because of the dsign. They redesigned the gear and replaced them for the ones that took them in and had it one. But that gave that model a bad name and it was only produce for 2 and 1/2 years. 1976-1978. No way to tell by looking if they have been replaced by just looking. If the gears are bad you ill hear a popping sound when you turn the steering wheel, you may hit a dead spot either way you have a problem. The geard are expnsive from massey , bout 2 grand, they can be bouht from c& l tractor parts in tenn. You just have to find mechanic to do the work and time h he gear box. I lik my 235 and 55 to 65 hundred is a good going price for one in good shape with low h ours.