1533 no start, problem?

/ 1533 no start, problem? #1  

MrSteve

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2025R
Hello all... I went out to start my 1533 to cut some grass and she refuses to go to work, I guess a Union got to her.

All was fine on Sunday, it was running like it always dose, great and it also started like it always dose, great... What I have checked.

Fuel... Almost fuel

Battery... Full power, it cranks just fine.

Fuses... All good, checked by eye 1st and then by test light.

Lift/fuel pump... Seems to be working fine, clicking like it always dose.

Fuel filter clear plastic housing... Fuel of fuel and clean (no water).

Safety switches (seat and column shifter)... Seem to be working correctly? If in gear, it will not turn over, if not in seat and in gear will not turn over and like it should, I "must" turn the key off then back on to reset the relays for it to turn over.

PTO switch... is off... Not sure where or how to check that safety switch, I'll take a look in the book.

Any thoughts? I wanted to make this post, then I am going back out there to dump the fuel from the fuel filter housing to make sure it fills back up when key is turned.

Lucky me I guess...199.4 hrs and last mouth of the warranty, but I would like to fix it myself.

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

/ 1533 no start, problem? #2  
There is a wire that goes to your fuel pump on the side of the engine. Check to see if it is on or loose.

/ 1533 no start, problem?
Ok when say fuel pump are you saying injector pump... The reason I ask the "fuel pump" is working fine, I turned off the fuel and it is emptying the filter into the fuel tank. Just for a thought, I know the engine stop solenoid is getting something for power, because it is "warm" to the touch, not hot...

I'll go check this wire now and see... Thanks for the help, by the way Jerry you can talk the mechanic talk, I have no problem understanding anything you tell me... Retired mechanic. BUT I will have to tell you it wasn't tractors, it was on Diesels from light to heavy, with that said, I know something is stopping the fuel. Exhaust pipe smells of "nothing", smells clean no fuel what so ever.

About the engine stop solenoid... Dose this unit just pull on a "sealed" shaft of some sort, meaning if I pull it (not going to yet) all will be fine, no fuel will come out?

No wire problem... I guess it could have something to with it, but the only wire I see on the right side (sitting in the seat) is the oil pressure sending unit wire and again it is tight.

What does the ECU do on this tractor?

Starting to think I have a stuck or bad engine stop solenoid... Like I said it is getting power because I can feel the heat (after trying allot of starts) and with that said both power wires are lighting up hot when key is on.

BUT keep the thoughts coming.

/ 1533 no start, problem? #5  
Afternoon Steve,
If you were a diesel mechanic Im not sure I have much to offer. Just a couple things off the top of my head.

1 You didnt induce any air into the fuel system ?

2 Does your injector pump have oil in it ?

3 When tractor is cranking have you cracked delivery lines for fuel ?

The way you described your problem, is that the tractor was running fine but when you went to start it you had nothing ! It all most sounds like an electrical problem to me also ! In any event keep us updated !

1 You didnt induce any air into the fuel system ?

No nothing at all. After it wouldn't start I did let the filter housing suck down to about 1/2 when checking to make sure the fuel pump would return the un-used fuel to the tank (because injector pump wasn't taking it).

2 Does your injector pump have oil in it ?

As far as I know, I haven't wanted to dig in that deep yet.

3 When tractor is cranking have you cracked delivery lines for fuel ?

Like above not yet. I guess just like you I think it is electrical... Either the engine stop solenoid has failed or something is stopping it from working correctly (safety switches).

I guess I will have to start pulling things. I was hoping something would be found as a common problem.

When I find this problem I will be sure to post what it was.

/ 1533 no start, problem? #7  
Steve,
Im just thinking out loud here but a couple of things I wanted to ask. Do you by any chance have an inexpensive meter ? And also a wiring diagram of your tractor ? Possibly a bad safety switch somewhere in the loop ? Like your PTO switch, you cant start the tractor with PTO lever engaged etc. Im just rambling but maybe it might give you an idea !

In any event good luck !

Thanks for the reply... Yes I have all the "stuff", that is why I was pointing to the engine stop solenoid. I really couldn't test the solenoid coil itself to see if it had the power to let the injector stop come out.

Ok with above said, it is the engine stop solenoid I believe. I pulled the unit off and the engine started when turning the key, to stop the engine I just pushed the fuel cut off shaft in the pump with my finger. So on to test why it isn't working correctly and this is what I found. The "shaft out" of the solenoid is about 2" long and has full time spring pressure to "push" on the rod that kills fuel in the injector pump, it is in a fuel cut off state at all times when no power is to the unit. Ok with that said, I turned on the key to run and the shaft on the solenoid just sat there and did nothing (but mind you the injector pump cut off rod dose push on this when installed), so then I slowly pushed on the shaft until the solenoid pulled it in... Problem (I think) the solenoid didn't pull the shaft in till it was about 1/8" from dead stop and then only pulled it in maybe 1/32", meaning it is almost all the way in before it will move to the "run" position and stays.

Now what I need to know if anyone has played with a solenoid not installed and can tell me if above is normal or not...

Writing on solenoid is below...

Woodward
Model 1503 SOL
P/N SK-1043-58 REV.2
S/N 2006505 0605 VDC 12

Now if this is normal for the solenoid to act this way, then I must have a problem in the injector pump. There is pressure on the fuel kill rod, but nothing near that would be needed to push this solenoid rod in until it was activated by power to the solenoid.

/ 1533 no start, problem? #9  
When you turn on the key, you should here the fuel solenoid click. That is activating the rack on the injection pump to full fuel. With the key on it should have power on the the two wires to the solenoid. One is a hold wire for the solenoid and one is the pull wire for the solenoid. If you have power on these with the key on I would say the solenoid is shot.

Yes I do have power like I said above... It is more of that the rod is not moving like it should... If you are saying I should have a "push" when power is on, well that isn't there under power, meaning the sol is pull only with power, no power then a spring pushes it back to the stop... This is confirmed by the wiring schematic, it dose have two + white wires, BUT in the harness the one wire jumps on top of the other when going to the "engine stop rely" (power on only with key to run and safety switches say "ok to run", other wire is a black ground and that has been confirmed to be a good ground.

EDIT... I miss read what you were saying about the 2 wires, so YES you are correct.

Also about the click... Not really heard when the rod dose go in (and again I "must" push it in, it will not go in on its own). To me, I think the SOL is getting to hot. While testing it for about 5min, it was hard to hold it because of the heat.