Tractor
    Massey-Ferguson 243, 2002 Model, 4wd, FEL

Default Extra Toolbox location

I'm looking to put an extra toolbox on my MF243 to keep a chain, and maybe some extra chain hooks. Most Massey Ferguson tractors come with a small toolbox mounted on the right side of the hood, but it is really too small to hold more than a small hammer, and some extra hitch pins. Any MF owners out there that have mounted an extra toolbox? If so, where did you put it? There doesn't seem to be many mounting places, and the roll bar is not set up to mount a toolbox, as I've seen many kubota owners do.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Unaka

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Default Re: Extra Toolbox location

You can always rig a tool box to hook to the front of the tractor where your front weights would go, similar to a rock box with a lid. I have been thinking of building one sometime and the chains will only help with weight up front. You should have enough room for the box even with your loader on and if you build it right you can have it act as a bumper as well.

Tractor

Robert,

I've had the same thought, and even taken measurements. The toolbox would have to be about 5x15 to fit inside the bumper, right over the hitch pin hole. I take it that you're talking about mounting one that would be attached to the bumper, but hang off the front of it, like front weights. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to think on this and draw a little, as I would want it to be easily removable. I might be able to mount some brackets that would hold a toolbox in place, yet make it easy to remove.

When I get started, I'll post some photos.

Thanks for your reply

Unaka

DFB
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s

Unaka,

I noticed that <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorsmart.com>http://www.tractorsmart.com</A> has steel toolboxes for sale.
    There are a few sizes quite close to what you describe needing. One even looks like MF red too. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Kinda pricey though.

Click on Toys, Caps, and Gifts to see 'em.

DFB

Tractor

DFB,

Thanks for the tip. I looked and there is one that measures, 15 x 3.5 x 3.5, which would fit right inside the bumper. It's $33.00 which is a little pricey, but considering time and effort constructing one on my own, may not be too bad of a deal. I've attached a picture for those interested.

Unaka
    Attached Images Attached Images