Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #1  

daniel7691

I have bought a Ferguson tractor from someone I know. Unfortunetly the identification plate is 85% worn away. I could make out the serial number at the bottom of the plate which is A173668. Also the serial number on the engine is S100959E.

Any help or links to other sites that could help it would be much appreciated. I do know that based on the serial number it has to be either a TE 20 or a TO 35 but I don't know how to identify it between the two.

Thanks
Daniel

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #2  
daniel7691 said:
I have bought a Ferguson tractor from someone I know. Unfortunetly the identification plate is 85% worn away. I could make out the serial number at the bottom of the plate which is A173668. Also the serial number on the engine is S100959E.

Any help or links to other sites that could help it would be much appreciated. I do know that based on the serial number it has to be either a TE 20 or a TO 35 but I don't know how to identify it between the two.

Thanks
Daniel

There was a TO-20, TO-30, and TO-35. If you can find a tag on the engine with Cubic inch displacement of the engine, you'll likely have your answer.

TO-20 had a Continental Z120(?) (120 cu. in.)
TO-30 had a Continental Z129 (129 cu. in.)
TO-35 had a Continental Z134 (134 cu. in.)

The first # you listed, A173668, the one on the tractor ID plate is the one you need to identify the tractor. The "A" is throwing me for a loop. All my serial # guides don't show an A in that series of numbers, but 173668 indicates a 1957 TO-35, early to mid-year production.

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #3  
Daniel:

The TO-35 has a dual range (3x2) transmission. Earlier Fergusons have a 4 speed transmission.

SDT

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor
Well this is what I have figured out so far, so if anyone disagrees please let me know. First it does have a 4 speed trans. So that rules out the TO-35. The TO-30 serial numbers only go upto 140,000, so that rules out the TO-30. The carb is a zenith 24t, british model and the radiator says it was made in coventry where the te-20 was made. The te-20 was made upto 1948 with the last serial number being 77772. Starting in 1947 the tea-20 was being developed with the standard petrol engine compared to the te-20's z-120.

I am thinking the A in the serial number I gave is probably the last letter in the model -TEA 20. Since the plate is so badly worn it's just a guess.

So in the end my quess is that this is a TEA-20.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Daniel

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #5  
Well, we might be getting somewhere now.

1951 Ferguson TE-30 starting serial # was 167837
1952 Ferguson TE-30 starting serial # was 241336

Your # is 173668

So, with that info, it sounds like you might have a TE-30, somewhere with-in the first month or two of production in '51.

I'm digging through all my Ferguson books to see if there was a TEA-30.

Again, look for any conformation that you have a Continental Z129 engine.

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor
I don't have a contenental engine. I have search numberous ferguson websites. I have been able to see pictures of the two engines and my is defenitely an European standard engine, which is what the TEA-20 had. In my search there was some questioning the existance of the TEA-30 but my research has resulted in there never having been any such model. Too often the TEA-20 with the 85mm bore engine, which was produced after the serial number 172000, was sometimes referred to as a TEA-30 but this was never an official identification. Ferguson changed the TE-20 id to TEA-20 with the larger engine.

Daniel

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #7  
daniel7691 said:
I don't have a contenental engine. I have search numberous ferguson websites. I have been able to see pictures of the two engines and my is defenitely an European standard engine, which is what the TEA-20 had. In my search there was some questioning the existance of the TEA-30 but my research has resulted in there never having been any such model. Too often the TEA-20 with the 85mm bore engine, which was produced after the serial number 172000, was sometimes referred to as a TEA-30 but this was never an official identification. Ferguson changed the TE-20 id to TEA-20 with the larger engine.

Daniel

OK... I saw a reference to a TE20-85 with serial #'s in the same range as yours. All the info I have is on US built Fergies. Jump over to Yesterdays Tractor, get on the Massey Ferguson forum (NOT the Ferguson forum) and holler for David in Wales. He's up on the British Fergies. Maybe he can be of some assistance.

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #8  
You Guys are on the right track
TEA 20-80 up to ser.# 172598
TEA 20-85 after ser.# 172598

JJ.

/ Help Identifying a Ferguson Tractor #9  
My grey ferguson TEa 20, cannot read serial number. Engine No is S 97252E. petrol, 6volt What is year of manufacture ?