Massey 1135 Eating PTO Ctutches

/ Massey 1135 Eating PTO Ctutches #1  

wayne40

My massey 1135 just ate it's second PTO clutch this year.
I'm going back in and looking at her insides once again to see if I can figure out what is causing this.

This clutch lasted all of 3 weeks. Same deal, clutch plates look fine and teeth are all gone.

I plan on going through the PTO bearings once again.

If anyone out there has any ideas as far as what bearing could cause this or what else to look for, I could really use the help

The pto hooked to nothing makes sort of a rattle sound. Hooked to a baler it makes a loud squawk about every 30 seconds or so. The sound apears to be coming from the PTO housing.

The last time I was in there I checked all the bearings and didn't see anything unusual. I also checked the needle bearings that go between the clutch and rear housing, they looked fine. I checked both shafts to be sure they were straight. The sprocket that the clutch plates set on are in good condition and the plates fit tightly.

Anyone else run into this problem?

/ Massey 1135 Eating PTO Ctutches #2  
Where is the clutch coming from? MF new, factory rebuilt, etc.

/ Massey 1135 Eating PTO Ctutches
Brand new from massey. There's 5 fiber plates and 5 steel. I personally think the plates seem to be cheaper made than the original plates, the teeth don't seem to be as thick as the original ones that came with the tractor. I'm buying the new ones off of a massey dealer and he's telling me that there is nothing wrong with the way they are making the new plates, that the problem is with my tractor.

/ Massey 1135 Eating PTO Ctutches
I dropped by the dealer today to order the new clutch plates once again. They told me they will order two sets this time being that I'm such a frequent clutch buyer.

They had an 1155 at the dealership. I checked it over and being that the pto system is ident. to mine, I turned the pto by hand just to see if there was any differance in the way it sounded or felt. It sounded smooth where mine has sort of a rattle sound to it when I turn it over. Hopefully this helps with any ideas what is causing this.

That back housing is loaded full of bearings, it's a matter of locating the problem bearing. Any tips? They all looked good when I examined them before, couldn't find a shaving or a flat spot. It would cost over $700 to replace all the bearings. Would much rather find the problem and save a few pennies.