Snow Will chains help much on snow?

/ Will chains help much on snow? #1  

lambs

Silver Member
Tractor
MF1010
I have an MF 1010 with turf tires, 2wd. Was thinking about trying some chains on the rear tires if it ever snows here again. I'd mainly be using it with a small blade to help pull out concrete driveways for folks in the neighborhood after the snowplow comes through.

My concern is whether or not this is very practical. I could do a lot with ag tires on, but if I added chains to the the turf tires, would it really give me much traction?

The tractor weighs around 1300 pounds.

This could all be a moot point; we're not even getting rain right now.

Anyone ever tried chains over turf tires out there?

Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Will chains help much on snow? #2  
Chains will help a ton, also look at putting some fluid/weight in your rear tires. Used to have a little L2500 Kubota 2wd and it went thru a foot of snow easy with chains on. Go to Tire Chains by Tirechains.com, cheap as anywhere I've seen for little odd ball turf sizes.

/ Will chains help much on snow? #3  
Chains will help more than a tire change. :D

If buying ladder type chains make sure they are two link type otherwise the ride may be rough.:D

/ Will chains help much on snow? #4  
I used loaded turfs for six years to plow snow and chains would have been a big help. Many times I would have to move the snow downhill; with chains I could have plowed either direction but overall the turfs didn't do bad.

/ Will chains help much on snow? #5  
Chains do help, although I found that with enough weight on the rear tires they are not always necessary, and then I can avoid the damage they can do to the driveway.
At my current home I have a gravel drive so I do not use them at all. This helps to keep from pulling the gravel up into the snow and plowing it into the lawn. I do have a 4wd TLB w/turfs so it's pretty easy to do that.

/ Will chains help much on snow? #6  
Hi lambs:

Chains will help for sure, at least in my experience. I had a 20 HP Toro Wheel Horse with a front mount 44 inch snow blower. Tractor about 600 lb's, 2 WD and the blower out front about 150 lb's and me in the seat at 210 lb's. I have about a 5 foot slope to get up from my garage to my drive way and that tractor clawed its way up everytime with chains on.

Sold that to my SIL and bought a new AGCO ST 22a 4 WD with turfs last year. Now I have a tractor about 1250 lb's 4WD with a rear mount 60 inch blower that is 400 lb's and of course me in the seat and the first time I tried to come up that slope I got stuck!:confused: Now that was the first snow and it was unusually wet but chains work.

Jim

/ Will chains help much on snow? #7  
I've got an older MF 1045 MFWD with turf tires (loaded). I realized the first winter we had it (1990) how helpless it was when trying to plow snow. Bought a set of chains and solved the problem --- unbelievable improvement.

/ Will chains help much on snow?
Wow. Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond! I will have to check this out.

/ Will chains help much on snow? #9  
Seems strange that if on blacktop that turfs have the most traction on pavement. That does give the most amount of surface contact to both tire and driving surface and obviuosly you did turn on the snowblower so you should be riding on nearly no snow.

I'd say start out with out!!!!! Then if really needed figure out which set!

/ Will chains help much on snow? #10  
If you do get chains, I'd suggest the rubber bar type which will not mark your concrete/asphalt driveways. I had a set of these on my last 2 WD lawn tractor (about your size) with a snowblower and it worked great.