Curtis cab

/ Curtis cab #1  

wh22366

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1540
I picked up a Curtis cab (right) that supposedly came from a MF1440 (might have been an earlier 1200 series) and am planning to modify it to fit my MF1540. It has a curved glass windshield, steel top, wiper, heater, soft doors, plastic rear window and is designed to sit in front of the ROPS. Anybody out there go this route?

The cab mounts to the floorboards and to the base of the ROPS mount. The 1540 platform and cowl is slightly wider but I plan to widen the bottom of the frame and make a new cab cowl panel. I might have to lose the small lower windows in the present panel. Will also have to reshape the cab frame where it follows the fender line so that the gaskets seal right.

I wrote Curtis to see if they had experimented with converting this cab to the present MF offering. They wrote back to tell me that the cab wouldn't fit so I guess the answer is no.

Why didn't I buy a cabbed version up front? Preferred to have the turbo over the A/C compressor. Besides, what would we do without projects?!

/ Curtis cab #2  
I have a MF1445. I looked at cabs last winter. If I could find a used one like you, I would buy one. I use my truck to plow my driveway, but I do have a front mount snowblower and a cab would come in handy. The only issue I could see if I bought a cab and I kept my loader on, I would have to change my loader mounted controls and use the fender mount instead. Let me know how you make out with your mods, and post some pics.

/ Curtis cab
My plan is to keep the loader on and use the bucket or a plow on the quick attach. Past winter storms have been relatively easy with just 175' of gravel driveway using a walk-behind blower or a garden tractor and blower. Problem is I'm building an equipment barn out back that will double the distance and cleanup, making the use of the small rigs hard work.

I'm terrible about documenting projects, but I will post pictures. I will say that the fender-mounted joy stick is almost too handy - I keep trying to shift it! I had my old Ford too long! Thanks.

/ Curtis cab #4  
Hey wh22366,
I have just the solution for you, check out the pics. Its for sale too :D

Admit it, it would look nice on your tractor. :)

Dennis

Attachments

• Blower Front.jpg
    Blower Front.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 715
  • Blower Side.jpg
    Blower Side.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 470
  • Blower Front 1.jpg
    Blower Front 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 391
  • Blower Side 1.jpg
    Blower Side 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 375
  • Blower Back.jpg
    Blower Back.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 405
   / Curtis cab
I've been tempted to look for a MF front blower, but I still remember the time another guy and I hung one on a 1440. The conversion from loader to blower wasn't quick. What's your experience?

Wayne

/ Curtis cab #6  
My blower is made by Erskine. My driveway is gravel and about 1000' long, I use my truck to plow. I have installed the blower several times with no problems. I roll my loader off and drive up to the blower and hook it up. Sometimes is takes a little to line it up, but I have had no major issues. I have moved it around without taking the loader off, I just raise it up over the blower. I have had a few people look at it, but it still sits here. I may use it if we even get a good ole' New England winter. :D

/ Curtis cab
I wouldn't mind owning your Erskine cheap (better than the NPE offer for sure), but I suspect you want to recoup a healthy piece of your purchase price. We really haven't had the big storms for the last several years, and I've been able to handle the blowable snow easily with my other hardware. I'd just like to have the tractor plow option for the wet, slushy stuff.

/ Curtis cab #8  
I have had a few people look at it. To be honest, I don't know what its worth. I usually plow with my truck. I have had my truck for 11 years now. The engine, trans, front and rear are good, but the body it getting pretty rough. I have looked at "used" trucks, but I can justify paying that much for a truck. I have thought about finding / buying a cab for my tractor and putting a plow on that and use that instead. I am not sure of my next move. I am going to get through the winter with my truck and go from there I guess. If we finally get a "New England" winter, then I can try out the blower. I just hate using a blower on a gravel driveway.

/ Curtis cab
I took a hard look this weekend at the work it would take to modify the cab to fit my rig and decided I have enough projects for the near future. My cab is a Curtis PN #7468901 and (according to Curtis and Steve at NPE) is made to fit the MF1433V & std, 1440V & std. Don't know how close the dimensions of your 1445 are to those models, but I'll sell the cab for $1500. I'm going another way for my cab needs. I'll deliver for gas money.

Wayne

/ Curtis cab #10  
Hi Wayne,
I may be interested in the cab. I will pm you for details.

Dennis