MF 1455(v) thoughts / input...

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #1  

Roper14

Want a tractor.
Need a tractor.
They are expensive.

quick and simple..have approx. 30 acres (hay field) - have never owned a "compact tractor" - always been around 60-85 hp tractors in the hay field or bushhogging (don't need 'em and can't afford 'em :eek: ) I've been looking pretty hard for something in the 50-60 hp range (going to do a little dirt work, bushhogging, pull a drawbar sprayer (500 gallon) etc...

I've been staying "away" from the compacts (looking at used) because durn it they are the same price almost as a utility, sometimes more....oh well
I came across a MF 1455v and the wheels starting churning...
...probably a good tractor...but...and here are some of the questions I have..

1. at less than 4000lbs, is it too "light" to do "heavy" work? (has different meanings to different people - yet the tractor performace would be the same)

2. how are the "non-perkins" diesels performing? (i've owned previous MFs - 293)

3. how well do the R4 tires (seem to be on EVERY compact) hold up on a lot of ground travel (bushhogging)?

4. in general - any comments at all about the tractor (wish you had bought ______ instead...or like it yet.........just whatever....having a hard time with this one cuz this "little tractor" is around 55hp (45) which is the size (in hp) i'm looking for, but unsure of the tractor's "future performance"

thanks

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #2  
Don't know the answers to all you questions but I think I can safely say that:

R4 tires hold up fine to a lot of ground travel. I think they are designed to be used on concrete and hard surfaces so I can't see bushhogging would be any problem.
I don't know if they are more prone to punctures, I expect they are less likely to puncture because they are designed for building sites and such.

I also think that the non Perkins diesels Massey are now using are performing well. I prefer the old Perkins ones because of their reliablilty though.

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #3  
To be able to give you a better answer: What are you going to be doing with this tractor if you purchase it?

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input...
JerryG said:
To be able to give you a better answer: What are you going to be doing with this tractor if you purchase it?

Uses:
---Dragging an arena - work fine if not better than a big un'
here are the ones not sure about...
---bushhogging anywhere from only 5 acres up to my whole place (30 acres)..if i end up doing the latter - i may invest in a 7-8 ft drawbar bushhog....instead of a 6ft 3pt...
---minor dirt work for a house - probably forming the rest of a road (house in to be field )
---i have a 500 gallon sprayer, (pull) to use to spray my field (of course could / may only have to fill tank 70-80% full)
---and the run of the mill tractor work....will not be pushing up stumps, but if a tree falls down, will it be stout enough to push "a good size tree" (i've been spoiled on 90hp tractors)

this is tractor is 5-6 hours away (i've been unable to find anything close) and i have no problem driving to buy...but like said above...looking for a mid 50hp tractor (but in a compact -just unsure)...ya'll let me know what ya'll think;)

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #5  
I think that tractor should be fine for what you want to do and probably be a lot more robust then you think it is.

Does it have a loader? I think you might find one usefull.

It should easily be able to do all the jobs you are talking about. The sprayer should be no problem even completely full.

It would also easily pull a big rotary cutter.

I'd say go and see it :D

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #6  
I have a MF 1445, Ag tires, 16 / 16 Shuttle Shift. The tractor has / is performing very well. I have a loader / Bradco Back hoe and several other attachments and the tractor does not mis a beat. My driveway is around 1000', I have a couple acres cleared that I bush hog (will finish it someday to finish mow) I have used it from building 6' rock / boulder retaining walls to moving logs. We had a few good cold days last winter and it did not hesitate to start. I bought mine used with 267 hours, I am around 425 now I think. No major issues, just regular maintenance. Very powerfull tractor for its size, turns on a dime, just all around a good tractor.

Good luck with your decision.

Dennis

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #7  
Afternoon Roper,
I think you will find that tractor will do most everything your looking to get done ! Ive heard good things about the Iseki diesel , as far as durability and dependability. Dennis made a good post and has the MF1445 comparable in weight to my MF 1040. I have a Toyosha diesel in my tractor and its 21 years old and still runnin strong. You could load your tires for a bit more weight doing loader work etc, bottom line your going to have enough HP to do what you want IMO. Good Luck !

/ MF 1455(v) thoughts / input... #8  
The only problem that I see that you might have is with the mower. Keep in mind that compact tractors weigh less than utilities. You don't want to get a mower so big that will wag the dog. The Iseki engines are very dependable. If you are use to utilities, they will not have the low rpm torque that the utilities. Like any compact tractor they make their power at a higher RPM. It is the same with any brand of compact.

Roper14 said:
Uses:
---Dragging an arena - work fine if not better than a big un'
here are the ones not sure about...
---bushhogging anywhere from only 5 acres up to my whole place (30 acres)..if i end up doing the latter - i may invest in a 7-8 ft drawbar bushhog....instead of a 6ft 3pt...
---minor dirt work for a house - probably forming the rest of a road (house in to be field )
---i have a 500 gallon sprayer, (pull) to use to spray my field (of course could / may only have to fill tank 70-80% full)
---and the run of the mill tractor work....will not be pushing up stumps, but if a tree falls down, will it be stout enough to push "a good size tree" (i've been spoiled on 90hp tractors)

this is tractor is 5-6 hours away (i've been unable to find anything close) and i have no problem driving to buy...but like said above...looking for a mid 50hp tractor (but in a compact -just unsure)...ya'll let me know what ya'll think;)