Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid?

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #1  

MrSteve

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2025R
I was just wondering if anyone has used Hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply and if you have what was the make/cost?

I have a geared trans so I am not that concerned about getting the Massy stuff... Or should I be?

I am not doing a fluid change, just topping off. I didn't notice one of my FEL fittings was leaking (just a little) over the complete summer while I had the FEL off.

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #2  
I have used the Tractor Supply brand. It's $18 for 2 gallons. I believe their brand is Travelers.

Walmart has a Trans Hyd. fluid as well and I have used that. They charge $14 for two gallons. I've used it on my 1135 with no issues. The Walmart brand is in the automotive section near the oils. I'm not sure how the quality of this fluid rates, but I've never had any issues with it.

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid?
Thanks for the reply... Anyone else

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #4  
MrSteve said:
I was just wondering if anyone has used Hydraulic fluid from Tractor Supply and if you have what was the make/cost?

-------Sorry, can't help your here.-----

I have a geared trans so I am not that concerned about getting the Massy stuff... Or should I be?

-----Only if your tractor is still under manufacturer and/or dealer warranty and you want to make sure that it's not voided by using non-MF fluids ------

I am not doing a fluid change, just topping off. I didn't notice one of my FEL fittings was leaking (just a little) over the complete summer while I had the FEL off.

----My 1964 MF-135 diesel is a simple gear tractor with Multi-power. The previous owner had that machine for nearly 30 years and used 90W gear oil from NAPA in the transmission/hydraulics. Tractor runs fine. I don't see any reason to change to more modern/expensive alternative fluids.-------

Thanks for the reply.

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #6  
Hello Steve,
I don't remember which standard transmission you have. If it has the dry clutch, you will more than likely be alright with the TSC fluid. It is is a PowerShuttle, get the Permatran.

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #7  
flusher said:
----My 1964 MF-135 diesel is a simple gear tractor with Multi-power. The previous owner had that machine for nearly 30 years and used 90W gear oil from NAPA in the transmission/hydraulics. Tractor runs fine. I don't see any reason to change to more modern/expensive alternative fluids.-------

Uh...You MIGHT want to check on that one. 100 series SHOULD use Hy-tran/universal tractor hydraulic fluid in tranny/rear end/hydraulic system. 90wt gear oil is EXTREMELY too heavy for the pumps in those Massey's. If all is well, I'd bet it's got NAPA hytran in it. (I've used NAPA Hy-Tran in the 150 for 30+ years)

Yes I have a dry clutch, tractor in my sig, Syncro Shuttle 8x8.

Don't worry I understood what flusher was saying (I knew better then using 90). I went and got 2gal of the hydraulic/trans fluid (says that right on the front), I don't have it in front of me, but it is made by Citgo, I didn't get TS brand, they both were the same price, who knows maybe they are the same.

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #9  
Farmwithjunk said:
Uh...You MIGHT want to check on that one. 100 series SHOULD use Hy-tran/universal tractor hydraulic fluid in tranny/rear end/hydraulic system. 90wt gear oil is EXTREMELY too heavy for the pumps in those Massey's. If all is well, I'd bet it's got NAPA hytran in it. (I've used NAPA Hy-Tran in the 150 for 30+ years)

FWJ:
Thanks for the info. I'm nearly positive the previous owner said NAPA 90W gear oil. I'll check again with him (he manages a NAPA store). I have'nt changed the trans/hydraulic fluid yet since I bought the 135 in July06 so no harm done (I hope).

/ Tractor Supply, Hydraulic/Trans fluid? #10  
flusher said:
FWJ:
Thanks for the info. I'm nearly positive the previous owner said NAPA 90W gear oil. I'll check again with him (he manages a NAPA store). I have'nt changed the trans/hydraulic fluid yet since I bought the 135 in July06 so no harm done (I hope).

Fergusons/Massey Fergusons BEFORE the 100 series used a 90wt mineral oil, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH 90wt GEAR OIL. 100 series use Hytran. Owners manual should list spec of oil to be used in your tractor. Heavy oil might not be as bad in your warmer climate, but here it can get mighty cold in the winter. Even Hytran gets stiff in 0 degree weather.