Massey Harris Trucks?? (pre-1930 to ???)

/ Massey Harris Trucks?? (pre-1930 to ???) #1  

74clueless74

No one seems to know anything about this ...
A 1930 McCord gasket catalog lists two MH tractors, the 10/20 with Case motor and the 12/22 with Buda HTU...then, as the next separate listing, shows: "Massey Harris, 4(cyl) Truck...Cont S4 motor...(The S4 was an engine used in a good number of over-the-road trucks of the period, and I've not seen it in a tractor in my old catalogs etc.)
A 1979 Fel-Pro gasket catalog has a whole raft of MH and MHF listings for "Trucks", come singly, like:
"Models 81.82,82S (Truck)...Cont F4124,F4140 engines...(both Cont Truck engines)...
Model 50 Series (Truck)...Cont Z134 engine (that's a tractor engine!)....
One model is listed clearly as both Tractor and Truck, the MF2200:
MF2200 (Truck)...Perkins 3A152D 3cyl (hardly a "truck" engine)
MF2200 (Tracor)..Cont Z134...
Contintal usage was F4140 for the "automotive"(truck) use, F140 for ind/ag use, and PF140 for power unit use...
I'd say the Fel-Pro was just screwy (it shows combines,wheel loaders,loader/dozer,etc, but no forklifts or lift trucks) but the old McCord is very specific as to pass cars, buses, log saws, light plants, etc.
Any thoughts/comments or suggestions appreciated. Many thxx!! bud

/ Massey Harris Trucks?? (pre-1930 to ???) #2  
I just done an online search. They show Massey Harris fork trucks, so I would say they are referring to fork lifts.

/ Massey Harris Trucks?? (pre-1930 to ???)
Tinker: I haven't run down anyone who has MH catalogs of the periods, but I don't doubt that the later years "trucks" are probably an internal MH name for their industrial tow tractors or lift trucks....
The older listing is more of a question...per Clark's history on their website, their first "gas powered" (I assume gasoline from the pic) lifter was 1924, a 3-wheel with outrigger wheels under the mast. Then in 1927 came their "Clarktor", a gas powered 4wheel, that they call a tow tractor, but their pic shows it fitted with front lift forks, so it must've been used for both.
I don't know if MH had an "industrial" section or division in the 20's; I'll have to dig around more. The engine bothers me: over the road trucks and industrial tow/lift vehicles have such different working ranges that you'd expect the industrial units to have tractor/industrial engines...but, on the other hand, no one's mentioned ever seeing or hearing about a MH truck...Thxx for effort...

/ Massey Harris Trucks?? (pre-1930 to ???) #4  
Hi Tweld Here I have a complete MicroFiche Library on the Massey I will check it out and get back to you if I you don't here from me E-Mail me back to remind me tweld@windstream.net

Well, guys, the plot thickens...I also posted 11-13 on the MHF forum at ytmag, and on 11-14 a Tom deGowin ? posted a thread re old MH factory pix, in which MH workers were apparently hand-assembling two or three old trucks, asking if anyone had any info. He apparently didn't see my post and I didn't look at his until yesterday, assuming it was tractor prod pix.
Tom didn't say where he found the old pix, and they apparently had no captions; I've emailed him but haven't heard back, probably because of the holiday weekend. I'll post any new developments. Bud

Well, back to square one---never heard from Tom DeGowin, but someone who saw his pix said the trucks in his pix weren't being assembled, that they were existing trucks having some kind of equipment installed to the fronts...
What bothers me is that the 1930 catalog is very precise as to every listing: Pass car, truck, bus, taxi, tractor, power unit, etc, but not one single listing for anything desc as const or industrial--no cranes, draglines, pavers, rollers, forklifts, lift trucks, towers, etc.
A couple MH experts said MH didn't have an "industrial Div", that they did build a few industrial tractors, but nothing else "industrial" they'd ever heard of.
Will post if anything turns up, but doesn't look promising.