GROUND SPEED PTO

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
My 98' 231 has this. You have to push the PTO lever forward. Pulling it back will put it in the 540 rpm selection.

So my question is: What in the world is the Ground Speed PTO selection used for? I know how it operates, but would like to know what attachments hook up to the PTO while using the Ground Speed selection and what would you use the attachment for?

Thanks,
Travis R

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #3  
Travis_R said:
My 98' 231 has this. You have to push the PTO lever forward. Pulling it back will put it in the 540 rpm selection.

So my question is: What in the world is the Ground Speed PTO selection used for? I know how it operates, but would like to know what attachments hook up to the PTO while using the Ground Speed selection and what would you use the attachment for?

Thanks,
Travis R

Ground speed pto was intended to power pto driven hay rakes, as well as ground driven manure spreaders. It was a standard feature on Massey Ferguson tractors for years. The concept never really hit the big time.

/ GROUND SPEED PTO
Thanks.

In my opinion, (from what very little bit I know about it), sounds like the Ground Speed PTO selection is actually useless compared to using the 540 rpm selection?? As far as I know of, I will never use the Ground Speed PTO. I don't see how I (or anyone for that matter) will ever come to need it.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems like all a tractor needs is the standard 540 rpm selection (unless you are running a PTO pump- where you would need the higher rpm PTO like the Yanmar gray market tractors have).

Thanks again,
Travis R

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #5  
In 36 years, I've used the ground speed pto on my 150 eactly ZERO times. One of those good ideas that never really panned out.

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #6  
when youre working on a really wet land, its usefull so you dont get stuck in the mud. chaff corn is harvested in the first weeks of the fall, and its very wet then.

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #7  
3ph sander or broadcast seeder

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #8  
Ive used it to get a baler unstuck, one that had been rusted fast. Just goe from forward to reverse a few times and some oil in the right places. took about 15min and it was good to go. Thats the only time I ever remember using it.

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #9  
Ive used it to get a baler unstuck, one that had been rusted fast. Just goe from forward to reverse a few times and some oil in the right places. took about 15min and it was good to go. Thats the only time I ever remember using it.
Are you saying the the PTO turns in reverse if the tractor is in reverse? I cant say as I have ever looked at mine when it is in GS but, I have never heard of that before.

/ GROUND SPEED PTO #10  
i dont understand the manure spreader issue. if you have a ground driven manure spreader (i do), its driven by the wheels of the spreader...not the pto.