Proper use of draft and position controls.

/ Proper use of draft and position controls. #1  

Kenfyoozed

Silver Member
Tractor
1974 MF135
I have a MF135, and want to make sure I am using the postion and draft control poroperly. The position contol rasies and lowers the implement being used, correct? While the draft keeps the implement at the proper level, say for discing? When I have both controls in the lower position. When i rasie the position lever, the draft lever raises as well. When I lower the position lever, the draft lowers as well. But I can use the draft lever independently of the position lever. I have just been keeping the position lever in "up" and using the draft lever to control the rasing and lowering of the implement. Is this the proper way? Or how should i be using these controls?

/ Proper use of draft and position controls. #2  
Kenfyoozed said:
I have a MF135, and want to make sure I am using the postion and draft control poroperly. The position contol rasies and lowers the implement being used, correct? While the draft keeps the implement at the proper level, say for discing? When I have both controls in the lower position. When i rasie the position lever, the draft lever raises as well. When I lower the position lever, the draft lowers as well. But I can use the draft lever independently of the position lever. I have just been keeping the position lever in "up" and using the draft lever to control the rasing and lowering of the implement. Is this the proper way? Or how should i be using these controls?

NOPE!

The 100 series Masseys use what was known as the "advanced Ferguson System draft control". It was a departure from earlier Fergusons where both levers were sometimes used at the same time. With the 135's controls, you use ONE or the OTHER, but not BOTH at the same time.

Use the position control lever to raise and lower just about every implement. Leave the draft control lever in raised position. When you're using a "soil engaging implement" such as a moldboard plow, a subsoiler, or even a disc, use the draft control lever only with the position control lever left in the raised position. The draft control lever is used ONLY when you're wanting "draft control" for your implement. In any event, you should never be using BOTH at the same time. Using the draft control lever to raise and lower heavy implements will cause the draft control "mechanics" to be working harder that they normally should be. You may even find that the draft control function won't raise loads heavy enough to be at the upper limits of the hydraulic system's capabilities. The position control function is far more capable of raising heavy loads.

Last edited:
   / Proper use of draft and position controls.
OK. Thanks. I was sure I was using it wrong. I had been leaving the position lever in the raised position and then using the draft lever to raise and lower. Hopefully I didnt damage anything. I only used it this way a hand full of imes to raise and lower the height of the bush hog.

When both levers are in the rasie poistion, and i move the position lever from raise to lower, should the draft control move as well? Mine does. I didnt know if this is a problem that needs to be addressed or maybe just a little dirty. It looked like the two levers were combined where they went inside the tractor.

/ Proper use of draft and position controls. #4  
Kenfyoozed said:
OK. Thanks. I was sure I was using it wrong. I had been leaving the position lever in the raised position and then using the draft lever to raise and lower. Hopefully I didnt damage anything. I only used it this way a hand full of imes to raise and lower the height of the bush hog.

When both levers are in the rasie poistion, and i move the position lever from raise to lower, should the draft control move as well? Mine does. I didnt know if this is a problem that needs to be addressed or maybe just a little dirty. It looked like the two levers were combined where they went inside the tractor.

No, the draft control lever shouldn't move with the position control lever. Look at both the levers. You'll see a screw with a spring tentioner on the side of each lever. Tighten the screw on the draft control lever until it creates enough "drag" to hold that lever while you move the position control lever. A turn or two on that screw should make a remarkable difference.

The two levers do in fact "combine where they go into the tractor" in a manner of speaking. The position control goes into the rear end housing via a hollow tube with the draft control entering via a round rod INSIDE that hollow tube. This is where service manuals and parts manuals are EXTEREMELY helpfull in understanding how various parts and pieces operate. The parts manual has exploded views, allowing you to see how everything is assembled. Knowing HOW somthing works helps to understand WHY it works.

I doubt you did any damage. The fact that everything is still working is a good indication there's no problems. Biggest "problem" with using the draft control to raise and lower implements not needing "draft control" is maintaining a constant operating position. It's virtually impossible to mow (with a bush hog as an example) while using draft control function to regulate cutting height. The mower would tend to move up and down quite a bit.

/ Proper use of draft and position controls.
Thanks. And yes it has beena pain trying to bush hog and keep a constant level using the draft! FWJ I really like your signature about the 3 types of men. Its so true. Sometimes Im all three.

/ Proper use of draft and position controls. #6  
Help My MF 375 tractor raises the plough when it supposed to ploughing ie cutting the soil with the plough and the operator has to keep on handling the levers so we don't know the cause of the problem, we tried adjusting the levers but the problem still persists, I am not sure it there is something lost there either a spring or a bolt, please help how can I approach this challenge before I call a mechanic who is 200 kms away

regards

Geoff

/ Proper use of draft and position controls. #7  
These things have always been a mystery to me, not being a farmer.

Could someone explain, how the tractor would know to what depth, your soil engaging implement, is operating? I mean, the front of the tractor is possibly going up and down over rough terrain.

/ Proper use of draft and position controls. #9  
Help My MF 375 tractor raises the plough when it supposed to ploughing ie cutting the soil with the plough and the operator has to keep on handling the levers so we don't know the cause of the problem, we tried adjusting the levers but the problem still persists, I am not sure it there is something lost there either a spring or a bolt, please help how can I approach this challenge before I call a mechanic who is 200 kms away

regards

Geoff

Dose it raise completely out of the cut or just change the depth of cut?