Power shuttle vs. HST

/ Power shuttle vs. HST #1  

jarbill

Bronze Member
Could I get some input about both the power shuttle or hydrostatic transmission so I can make a decision between the two? I've just about settled on the MF1533, but the difference in price between the two trannies isn't that much. I don't have any experience with either one, so I would like to hear from anybody that has anything to say to see if it might make my decision easier.

Initially, I will have to do a lot of mowing, rock moving/removal, brush cutting/removal, road creation/maintenance, dirt work, and stuff like that. Hopefully, in a couple of years, as the property kind of gets in the shape I want it to be in, I think it will be pretty much limited to mowing and occasional road maintenance snd things like that, so I'm trying to look about two or three years in the future and beyond.

Thanks.

Jerry in Texas

/ Power shuttle vs. HST #2  
Of course everyone has their own idea but I like the PowerShuttle. I have had one for about three years. I don't like having to run the engine at a higher RPM than I have to because of the extra noise. You have to with any hydro I have ever used.

/ Power shuttle vs. HST
Thanks. I also liked the Power Shuttle. However, I just didn't know whether I really had a preference or not since I've never used either one of them. I think I'll stick with the Power Shuttle as much for the cost savings as anything else, plus a little more PTO hp than the HST.

I appreciate the input.

Jerry in Texas

/ Power shuttle vs. HST #4  
We sell P/S 20-1 over Hydro in 1533-1540 I love the P/S
But I do have a 1533L Hydro cab on order with small R4. Deere sell a lot like this.

/ Power shuttle vs. HST #5  
jarbill- I have given this same response a few times on the forums and Ill do it again.... I have had a 1533 with HST for about 10 months now and here is what I think...

I have about 12 acres which I mow in the summer and I use a 7ft heavy duty rear finish mower to do it. I notice going up slight grades with moderately thick grass that the tractor requires the ground speed to be reduced otherwise it will bog down and stall. In texas you may not have these grades but in my opinion the size of the 1533/40 is perfect for most 10-20 acre owners. But if you plan on doing any ground engagement or use a 7ft RFM then I suggest either going with the 1540 (HST or PS) or 1533 PS.

I have used a 6ft box blade cutting out a concrete pad, and the HST struggles with the ground engagement., however with the extra 7hp from the 1540 the lack of power would probably be less noticable.

I have no experience with anything but my 1533 HST, but I will say that I do like the HST, and if I had to do it over I would go with the turbo but stick with the HST. I hear the the PS is great however, I have used the FEL supprising alot and I love not having to move a stick to adjust between FWD and REV!

Enjoy your toy!!