MF 1250-new owner ?s

/ MF 1250-new owner ?s #1  

mgtd

Hi, I'm new to this forum and in browsing have had a great time with all your exploits, especially in the "homebrew" catergory, as I am a tinkerer with lots of time and intend to use this tractor and make some of my own accessories.

I'm bying a MF 1250 4WD with 6' brushhog, loader and rear blade. 2001 model, 33 HP, 450 hours. Purchasing from the dealer who sold it new, serviced it all it's life and just took it in a trade up.

What should I expect from this machine as far as problems. It looks pristine, virtually no tire wear and seems to function fully. I'm on a 30 acre farmette with rolling hills, pasture, pond and a long driveway. NE missouri, so some snow. I think I want to add a backhoe and a box grader to my accessories.

I'm trading in an older Case I/H 2WD--More powerful, but bulky/awkward and in need of several repairs including new tires. I keep getting it stuck in the clay/mud.

Any input regarding pitfalls and or good points of this machine would be appreciated.

Curt

/ MF 1250-new owner ?s #2  
It is a very good tractor. I have had mine for 10 years and now have 1400 hours on it. I have not had anything other than normal maintenance done to it. I have run Amsoil in the motor, transmission and FWD.

The only problem that I have now is the glow plugs are shot and I cannot figure out how to replace them.

/ MF 1250-new owner ?s #3  
I have a MF 1250 with front end loader and backhoe. I bought it with 670 hrs and now have 725 so I have not used it that much. I did my homework before buying this tractor but I had looked at some others, however the price was right and the reviews were good. This tractor was to replace a much larger 45 hp 4wd tractor which was too large for my needs. Now for the likes and dislikes and issues.

DISLIKES:
  1. The front end loader dumps too slow.
  2. The front end loader would not pick up enough weight. I fixed this
    by increasing the pressure.
  3. The loader dump joy stick requires too much force.
  4. The shuttle shift will grind gears sometimes and is hard to engage at times.
  5. Hood and grill sheet metal seems thin for a tractor.
  6. Engine access is difficult.
  7. Hydraulic hoses seem to be crowded under tractor and rear.
  8. The lower lift arm attachment at the tractor housing is held on by two bolts and is unsupported on the ends. I can see possibly breaking the housing.
  2. Engine is quiet.
  3. 16 speeds is just right.
  4. Shuttle shift.
  5. Roomy and comfortable operator platform.
  6. Plenty of power.
  7. Small enough for small spaces but large enough for a 5 ft bush hog.
  8. Turns in tight places and small enough to fit on car trailer.
  9. 4WD and differential lock.
  10. Seat and foldable roll over package.
  11. Steering box instead of steering rack exposing cylinder in front of axle.
  12. MF dealer in Hopkinsville KY was pleasant to deal with and my
    local dealer, Country Lawn and Tractor in Woodruff is very good to deal with.
  13. Electric PTO clutch.
  14. Placement of controls.
  15. The brakes are very good.

ISSUES:

1. Horizontal bar between loader attachment and front of tractor began cracking. Fixed with 3 inch weld.
  2. Strainer in transmission clogged and was stuck causing it to break when I removed it. Replacement cost reasonable.
  3. Muffler support bracket broke. I need to weld it.
  4. Wire on PTO switch at column broke causing tractor not to start. Soldered wire.
  5. I think the glow plugs need replacing causing hard starting when cold.
I really like this tractor and have not gotten buyers remorse.

Last edited:
   / MF 1250-new owner ?s
Wrenchturner--How did you accomplish increasing pressure for the loader lift.

I've had mine now for about 7 months and have been very pleased with the exception of bucket lift power.

I added rear wheel weights and that improved stability and traction immensely. I bought a set of rear weights from a Farmall B and they bolted up inside the 1250's rear wheels (drilled 4 1/2" holes). Checking frequently for any strss cracks to the orig. wheels. The Farmall weights added 300 pounds per side to the rear.

I've added a homebuilt toothbar to the bucket, purchased a used box scraper, post hole digger, and an old JD sickle mower. I put a Landspride 3 pt. quick attach. A very simple mod. was adding an EZ Go top for sunscreen/rain protection.
I modified the JD mower with a hyd. cyl. to allow "from seat" adjustment of sickle bar angle for mowing my pond banks.

Very happy with my tractors performance

/ MF 1250-new owner ?s #5  
did it look like something had hit the transmission strainer