Perkins Blow-by?

/ Perkins Blow-by? #1  

hvac81

Hello- I have a 93' MF240 2WD with the Perkins AD3.152 Direct Inject Diesel.
Its hard starting, but will run. The engine has a lot of positive pressure and blows a little oil from the valve cover drain tube. I fear its Blow-by. Unit has only 360 hours, and that seems too soon to have happened. Could I have a stuck ring? Any thoughts? Thanks

/ Perkins Blow-by? #2  
Has This engine had starting fluid used on it those engines do not handle starting fluid well it only takes a little to much one time to bust the ring grooves on the pistons. Your engine sure has all the symptoms of that problem. Big Dean

/ Perkins Blow-by?
No Sir, never used any starting fluids of any sort. I realize the symptoms all point to a ring that has failed, but should this happen with such low hours. I wonder if the Injectors could cause this. I know a poor spray pattern could cause an incomplete combustion process. Any tips on how to check compression. I know it is checked possibly through the Injector port, but how to attach a gauge with out it leaking? That would show if I have a ring problem or- Could this be caused by an out of time Injection pump? I guess I just want to narrow it down, before I have to split the thing apart.
Thanks for your quick response.

/ Perkins Blow-by? #4  
Another thing that will cause those systems id diesel fuel in the oil. With only 360 the rings should not have failed unless there was a leak in the air intake system letting dirt get to the cylinder it does not take much dirt to eat up the rings and sleeve

Big Dean Shawnee OK
Big Dean's Massey Ferguson web site
Big Dean web Site

/ Perkins Blow-by?
Thanks for the fast response -again. I changed the oil, and allowed the engine to "Run" for about 15 mins.

/ Perkins Blow-by? #6  
I have a 240 in the shop now with the same symptoms.
severe blow-by... the longer it ran the more it would slobber all over itself. hard starting. 650 hours on machine. customer had injection pump rebuilt, and installed new lift pump. machine was purchased used.
Took the head off and sent it to the shop. (i was not the first one to get into the engine) valves were not ground properly, but the head is ok. took the front end off, dropped the pan, pulled out the pistons... BAD NEWS
2 of 3 pistons are broke, every piston had broken rings. (crome rings with crome cylinders and that is a no no)
either can break pistons and rings, so can the timing. so i removed the front cover to discover that it is NOT timed correctly.
gee whiz - parts are high. The 240 is not the same as a 235 or 245. Perkins made a few changes with this engine.

/ Perkins Blow-by?
That sounds like it to me. This engine has never been apart. It guess its time to dig deeper. Should I try a compression test first? I would think so. Also the front end needs to be dropped, as that is all mounted it seems to the front of the engine ( oil pan ). Time to get greasy!