Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house?

/ Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
I've been looking at getting a GC2310TLB to do some landscaping/foundation work around my house.

When I'm parked beside my house, how deep will I be able to get beside my foundation? The 6'5" digging depth is right beneath the backend of the backhoe, and that backend is going to be at least a few feet away from my house (because of the outriggers/width of the tractor/etc).

Has anyone used both a Terramite T5B and a GC2310? The T5B is the 2 wheel drive predecessor to the T5C, and it is supposed to have an 8'4" digging depth.

I'm asking because I can get a year old GC2310 for between $16000-$18000 CDN including taxes, and I can get a 22 year old Terrabyte T5B (with the engine replaced about 4 years ago) for $8500 CDN (private sale so no taxes).

I like the idea of the GC2310TLB - newer, sexier, and I can use cat-1 implements on it. The nearest dealer didn't have one in stock, but they did have a GC2300, and I test drove that around the lot, and I liked the feel of it.

However I already have a 50hp tractor (and appropriately sized implements for it, which are probably too big for the GC2310TLB), so I don't really need the GC2310TLB. All I *really* need/want is a compact/subcompact backhoe.

/ Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house? #2  
I would look at the Mahindra 2015 you can get a 7'10" digging depth backhoe factory on it.
You will have a brand new compact tractor with great financing rates and warranties.
Rick

/ Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house? #3  
I rented a Terramite (I think it was a T5C) a couple of times before buying my 2310tlb. There is NO comparison.

With the Terramite, I was actually kind of impressed with the backhoe digging ability in good dirt but as soon as it hit a root or anything, it would stop it dead in it's tracks. The gas engine was unbelievably underpowered and very noisey. I had to run the engine almost at wide open throttle all of the time.

The front end loader was useless to me. Whenever I tried to push fill back into the trench the engine would just bog down and almost die. I could only scrape off a couple of inches at a time.

I rented the same machine two different times. It wasn't very old but it may have just been an issue with that particular machine or maybe the rental center had it governed down. It was cheap to rent though and I only had minor digging to do so it did the job for me but I would never buy one of those machines unless it was just an unbelievable deal.

On the other hand, my 2310tlb has never disappointed me as far as its abilities goes. The swing cylinder on the backhoe is a little weak but the digging is great.

/ Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house? #4  
I have used a Terramite many times and I own a 2310. There is no comparison, the terramite is by far the "jerkiest" hoe I have ever run. You have to be very careful to be able to operate one smoothly. On the other hand a 2310 is very smooth, (very desirable when working in close quarters), The 2310 is more powerful, and gets better fuel economy. I can't recall the last time I had to go more than 6' to do a waterproofing job, so I think the digging depth is not as much of an issue.
However, a Mini Excavator is by far the best for digging basement walls, you can "offset" the boom on most machines, that I have seen, and this allows you to dig parallel to the wall with ease. You would be far better off using one of these because you can make a narrower trench, and use a lot less stone when you fill.

If your looking for a reason to but a great little tractor, the 2310 is just that.

/ Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house? #5  
If you already have a 50 hp tractor, I would look at a Woods 9000 3ph backhoe which will dig down to 9'. I have one I bought with both a 12" and 24" buckets and a PTO pump that I use for foundation trenching and have had no problems with it. It paid for itself in the first year doing 6 garage foundations. I bought it at Rosseels in Mt. Clemens Mi. which may not be to far from you. I paid $6500.00 American for it in 2000 and am very satisfied with it. It is mounted on my JD 5200(about 45 hp). As a bonus, it makes pushing snow with the quick attach 7' Western I fabbed to the FEL very effective because of the weight.

Paul

/ Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house?
   / Terramite T5B versus GC2310? Digging depth beside foundation of house? #7  
Congrats !:)

DEWFPO