Silver Member
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

Default What is this ? on a MF135

http://usera.imagecave.com/daddy_jef...6/DSCN1076.JPG

I found this pic on this site. What is the pedal or ? that is coming out of the rear axle? The item in question looks to have the spring attached to it.

The reason I ask is my tractor doesnt have this and i wanted to know what it is?
    Thanks Guys
    Neil

Platinum Member Heywood Jannockitov's Avatar
    Near Schomberg, Ontario Canada, the equestrian center of the universe
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5425 cab, 1986 Case 580 Super E, 1973 IH454

Default Re: What is this ? on a MF135

It's the pedal that activates the differential lock. If your tractor doesn't have it, you have the bare bones model 135 or 138 and probably don't have live PTO either. I learned this from farmwithjunk, the walking encyclopedia of MF stuff!
    Definition of "Horse": A 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jannockitov
    It's the pedal that activates the differential lock. If your tractor doesn't have it, you have the bare bones model 135 or 138 and probably don't have live PTO either. I learned this from farmwithjunk, the walking encyclopedia of MF stuff!

Or, as my wife says, a veritable goldmine of useless trivial information.

You're correct in that being a differential lock pedal.

It's presences indicates that being a 135 Deluxe (w/live power) HOWEVER.... Absence of a differential lock doesn't indicate it being a bare bones model. The 135 special's (138/non-live power) weren't offered with the OPTIONAL differential lock, and well over half of the 135 DELUXE models came w/o a differential lock.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

FWJ,

Did you spend some time working in an MF dealership, or an equal amount of time on them??

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    Or, as my wife says, a veritable goldmine of useless trivial information.

You're correct in that being a differential lock pedal.

It's presences indicates that being a 135 Deluxe (w/live power) HOWEVER.... Absence of a differential lock doesn't indicate it being a bare bones model. The 135 special's (138/non-live power) weren't offered with the OPTIONAL differential lock, and well over half of the 135 DELUXE models came w/o a differential lock.

Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jannockitov
    My 1964 MF-135 diesel is the Deluxe model, has a live PTO, but doesn't have the differential lock.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos
    FWJ,

Did you spend some time working in an MF dealership, or an equal amount of time on them??

I grew up on Massey Harris, Ferguson, and Massey Ferguson tractors. Then I bought a Massey as my first new tractor. All the while, I lived in a John Deere/IH neighborhood. I had to fight for every ounce of respect I could get. I had to know my way around the red and silver or my "pals" would have ate me alive

Add to that, over the years I've bought and re-sold used tractors for a few extra peso's. I keep records of my trading. Last week I got out the book. I've owned 9 new tractors,(3 of which are Masseys) 3 more used ones that I bought to use on the farm, and a total of 84 that were bought to resell, over 40 of which were MF's. Altogether, I've had my hands on 96 total. I decided that I need to shoot for an even 100. So 4 more tractors are going to get a new home in the future!
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.