Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    117
    Location
    Mobile, Al
    Tractor
    1974 MF135

    Default What is this ? on a MF135

    http://usera.imagecave.com/daddy_jef...6/DSCN1076.JPG

    I found this pic on this site. What is the pedal or ? that is coming out of the rear axle? The item in question looks to have the spring attached to it.

    The reason I ask is my tractor doesnt have this and i wanted to know what it is?
    Thanks Guys
    Neil

  2. #2
    Platinum Member Heywood Jannockitov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    807
    Location
    Near Schomberg, Ontario Canada, the equestrian center of the universe
    Tractor
    2008 John Deere 5425 cab, 1986 Case 580 Super E, 1973 IH454

    Default Re: What is this ? on a MF135

    It's the pedal that activates the differential lock. If your tractor doesn't have it, you have the bare bones model 135 or 138 and probably don't have live PTO either. I learned this from farmwithjunk, the walking encyclopedia of MF stuff!
    Definition of "Horse": A 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die.

  3. #3
    Super Member Farmwithjunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,514
    Location
    Mt Washington, Kentucky
    Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

    Default Re: What is this ? on a MF135

    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jannockitov
    It's the pedal that activates the differential lock. If your tractor doesn't have it, you have the bare bones model 135 or 138 and probably don't have live PTO either. I learned this from farmwithjunk, the walking encyclopedia of MF stuff!

    Or, as my wife says, a veritable goldmine of useless trivial information.

    You're correct in that being a differential lock pedal.

    It's presences indicates that being a 135 Deluxe (w/live power) HOWEVER.... Absence of a differential lock doesn't indicate it being a bare bones model. The 135 special's (138/non-live power) weren't offered with the OPTIONAL differential lock, and well over half of the 135 DELUXE models came w/o a differential lock.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

  4. #4
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,512
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default Re: What is this ? on a MF135

    FWJ,

    Did you spend some time working in an MF dealership, or an equal amount of time on them??




    Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk
    Or, as my wife says, a veritable goldmine of useless trivial information.

    You're correct in that being a differential lock pedal.

    It's presences indicates that being a 135 Deluxe (w/live power) HOWEVER.... Absence of a differential lock doesn't indicate it being a bare bones model. The 135 special's (138/non-live power) weren't offered with the OPTIONAL differential lock, and well over half of the 135 DELUXE models came w/o a differential lock.

  5. #5
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,537
    Location
    Sacramento
    Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

    Default Re: What is this ? on a MF135

    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jannockitov
    It's the pedal that activates the differential lock. If your tractor doesn't have it, you have the bare bones model 135 or 138 and probably don't have live PTO either. I learned this from farmwithjunk, the walking encyclopedia of MF stuff!
    My 1964 MF-135 diesel is the Deluxe model, has a live PTO, but doesn't have the differential lock.

  6. #6
    Super Member Farmwithjunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,514
    Location
    Mt Washington, Kentucky
    Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

    Default Re: What is this ? on a MF135

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos
    FWJ,

    Did you spend some time working in an MF dealership, or an equal amount of time on them??

    I grew up on Massey Harris, Ferguson, and Massey Ferguson tractors. Then I bought a Massey as my first new tractor. All the while, I lived in a John Deere/IH neighborhood. I had to fight for every ounce of respect I could get. I had to know my way around the red and silver or my "pals" would have ate me alive

    Add to that, over the years I've bought and re-sold used tractors for a few extra peso's. I keep records of my trading. Last week I got out the book. I've owned 9 new tractors,(3 of which are Masseys) 3 more used ones that I bought to use on the farm, and a total of 84 that were bought to resell, over 40 of which were MF's. Altogether, I've had my hands on 96 total. I decided that I need to shoot for an even 100. So 4 more tractors are going to get a new home in the future!
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.