GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off...

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off... #1  

Cucch

Tractor
2006 GC2310
Hi All,

I just had the main driveshaft of the snowblower flyoff. The yokes at both ends were damaged and the ujoints destroyed. It also put a nice dent in the oil pan.

It looks like there are 2 set screws that hold the small shaft
by the front axle to a bearing. The driveshaft then connects to this short shaft by means of the spline.

When these 2 screws located on the bearing loosen up the short shaft moves forward and the main drive shaft can release.

I have heard of this happening to others. Anybody else have or hear of this problem. Seems to be a real safety issue. I took out the set screws and they did have loctite
on them but it obviuosly didn't work.

So check your set screws for those of you with the 2360
snowblower. I don't trust it. I have the dealer ordering the parts but we haven't discussed if it is a warranty issue. I clearly think so. The snowblower only has 2 hours on it.

Is there a recall on this... It seems like they need to have a better way to secure short shaft and bearing.

Whatever info you may have I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Greg

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off... #2  
Are you talking about the long driveshaft (~4 feet long) from the mid-PTO to the quick connect in the front?

I have a good wobble (and vibration) in mine that is clearly visible on the front of that driveshaft (the end that connects to the quick connect).

I can't imagine your talking about the short snowblower driveshaft (~15 inches long)

DEWFPO

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off...
Yes, it was the long driveshaft that flew off. The set screws
are on the bearing where the short shaft is. This shaft connects to the long drive shaft by means of a spline down near the front axle.

You could be getting vibration because the 2 set screws have loosened up and the short shaft moved forward towards the blower unit, leaving little for the long driveshaft to be connected to. Check this immediately!

I notice that if those set screws are loose and the short shaft moves toward the blower, that shaft becomes loose
and will cause vibration. The set screws are suppose to be tight on the solid iron part of the short shaft not the spline threads if that makes sense.

It seems to be a weak link in the setup. I could see a recall needed for this. The 2 set screws do not seem to be enough strength to hold that shaft in place with the bearing.

Let me know what you find..

Cucch

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off... #4  
I'll check it out Thanks.

DEWFPO

Dropped off the snowblower mount and broken up driveshaft at the dealer today. They are going to
drill holes into the mid shaft where the set screws attach. (By the way there are 4 set screws and 2 bearings). I could only see 2 set screws and 1 bearing at first. By doing this it will give something for the set screws to bite into and hopefull hold on to.

It is covered under warranty. There was an 05 machine in the dealer with the same problem that tore off his transmission filter and the mount it screws onto. It's going to cost $450 just for that part and they may not cover it under warranty because the machine is a couple of years old. I disagree...it should be covered and recalled.

Anyways, please check these and bring to your dealers attention. It is a safety concern. A recall really needs to be issued for this.

Till later,
Cucch

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off... #6  
I'd appreciate it if you can document (w/photos) whatever you can. After seeing mine wobbling like **** the other day, I think it's a matter of time before it let's go and causes all sorts of carnage.

DEWFPO

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off... #7  
Might want to check the timing of the u-joints on a shaft that long. Maybe 90 degrees apart would reduce the wobble. They may only go on one way, and if so, I'm way off base here.

The mount and driveshaft are at the dealers so I'm not sure
how soon I can get you pictures.

A quick way to see if the set screws are your problem, just
disconnect and remove the 4' driveshaft from the mid PTO.

Then, grab the short mid mount shaft and see if it moves
forward and backwards. It's not suppose to move at all. If it does, that's a problem. I think there's suppose to be about 5 5/8" of the shaft exposed. You will also see one the bearings with the 2 set screws. See if they are tight. There is another bearing just ahead of that one about 3".

If that shaft moves to far forward it will release the 4'
driveshaft.

Let me know if you do this and what you find.
Cucch

/ GC2310 snowblower driveshaft flew off... #9  
Just to be clear, are you talking about the short shaft in the "Quick Hitch" that is sliding forward releasing the 4' shaft?

Thanks DEWFPO

Yes, the short shaft is sliding forward releasing the 4' shaft.

That short shaft is not suppose to move. It is held in place by 4 set screws, that are within the 2 bearings. Yours may have moved forward enough to create vibration, yet may not have moved enough to release the 4' shaft yet.

You could have a bad bearing too... How old is your snowblower?

Cucch