PTO generator

/ PTO generator #1  

EMS503

Silver Member
Tractor
1960 or 61 MF35 Deluxe, 2008 Kubota L3940 GST
I may have to put my MF35 in the shop for a couple of days, This tractor is on stand-by for my chicken house generator (75 KW pto driven) in case of power failure. The generator needs 35 hp to run at full capacity. I would like to know if I hook my GC2300 up to run a minimal load would it hurt either the tractor or generator? I know the 2300 does not have the hp to properly run this generator, But I will need some thing on stand by just in case. I can ask my neighbor who has a MF 35 also but if he is not at home I am in trouble as the birds will suffocate if I do not have some fans running as the temps. are starting to rise into the 70s here.

/ PTO generator #2  
As long as you don't put the full 75kw load on the generator, the 2300 should be able to spin it and produce a fair amount of current. Since the 2300 puts out ~23.5 HP, thats ~2/3rd the power of the 35. So, I would plan on running an absolute maximum of 50 kw load on that generator when hooked up to the 2300, preferably more like 25-35KW, if it were me.

DEWFPO

/ PTO generator #3  
I'm surprised you can get 75kw out of 35hp, seems like you would need more (I have about 23 pto hp and I think I'm rated for a max of about 15kw) but you can use less - you'll just dog the engine if you try to draw too much juice and your voltage will drop as the rpms drop off. That wouldn't hurt a fan motor but I wouldn't want to be running a tv, computer, or compressor (like on a refrigerator) as those things can get hurt on low voltage.

/ PTO generator #4  
Do not overload either. You should have a frequency meter on this and watch it. Fans are a good even load to work with.

/ PTO generator #5  
Something doesn't add up. The rule of thumb is about 2hp per kW so I can't see how you are getting anywhere close to 75kw out of a generator driven by a 35hp tractor.....:cool:
A quick google reveals the typical 75kW generator powered by a 85-115hp diesel engine.....

/ PTO generator
Hey guys thanks for putting a doubt in my mind about my generator size. I went and checked it out again and it is not a 75kw but a 25kw generator.
So my guestion is amended to will my 2300 run a minimal load with this generator. Guess I need to have my glasses checked :eek:.
I will only be running some fans and lights, no high tech. equipment.
Thanks again.

/ PTO generator #7  
I think the rule Skyco mentioned is correct. If you look at standalone generators you will see that they are sized with about the same ratio. You should be ok to run an 11.75 KW load. How many HP are the fans and how many fans are there? Are they 110V or 220V? How many lights and what wattage? Given that info we could take an educated guess.

/ PTO generator #8  
You can do it, you'll just only get about 10kw out of it before the tractor can't keep the PTO running at 540. The rule is 2 PTO HP per KW of power.