Massey 1010

/ Massey 1010 #1  

rondo

Just took a quick look at a Massey Ferguson 1010 for a possible buy. I know very little about CUTs and next to nothing about this particular tractor. The owner is unsure of the year (probably early 90's). It's a series 2961, 16hp/3cyl diesel, live PTO, hydraulics, manual (gear driven)2WD, with three attachments; a 6' front blade, 6' rear blade and a 60" Caroni finish mower (pull behind). It's in fair shape and they're asking $2700. I don't even know if this is a good model MF or not, but the son-in-law is interested and I'd like some info on the 1010. I have the serial number too, if that can get me some more info (14T39).
Any help appreciated.

/ Massey 1010 #2  
Rondo, you might want to see how many hours are on it. I bought one about 15 months ago, same model as yours. I love it. It showed 279 hours, but I think it had a replaced tachometer drive shaft, so the hours were probably wrong. The straight drive transmission is the one to get. Hydro models have issues. You could have the compression checked to see if it's still good or has any issues. But they are tough tractors and very simple. MF still can get most parts for them. The engine is by Toyosha, the tractor made by Hinomoto for MF. You can buy the filters for it at NAPA.

I did a fair amount of freshening of mine after I bought it. Changed all the fluids and filters, belt and hoses, and found a cracked radiator, which I had repaired.

You can get the owners and parts manual from MF as well. Usually these are on eBay, but overpriced. Don't ask me how I found that out.

I've never found a serial number date of manufacture reference, but later models have two engine oil plugs. I think the oil pan was changed to allow passage of a drive shaft for the front wheels, so there are two "sides" of it to drain on my tractor.

Does it have front weights? I bought a 250 pound aerator for the three point hitch, and found my front wheels got more than a little light. So I had a weight rack fabbed up for it and bolted it to the front of the frame. MF lists a weight rack, but they're no longer available. So far all I do with mine is move mulch on a trailer around my yard (a ton at a time is no issue to pull) and aerate my yard. But I have other plans.....I would not try to put a front end loader on one though.

Don't know where you're located, but that price seems low for the implements that come with it. So I would check out the tractor carefully before making an offer. But the implements would be worth something even if you took a chance on the tractor.

Good luck and let us know what you do....