Daddy's old tractor

/ Daddy's old tractor #1  

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
Daddy has an old Massy, which he says is a model 65 and has 53 hp. He also has a Troybilt rear tine tiller, which won't start at the present time. He stopped by a dealer in Texarkana and looked at a 6 foot pto tiller last week and is thinking about making a purchase.
Anyone have a similar tractor that has pulled a 6' tiller or knows just how big a tiller Daddy can safely operate with his 65?
Thanks, David from jax

/ Daddy's old tractor #2  
sandman2234 said:
Daddy has an old Massy, which he says is a model 65 and has 53 hp. He also has a Troybilt rear tine tiller, which won't start at the present time. He stopped by a dealer in Texarkana and looked at a 6 foot pto tiller last week and is thinking about making a purchase.
Anyone have a similar tractor that has pulled a 6' tiller or knows just how big a tiller Daddy can safely operate with his 65?
Thanks, David from jax

That tractor will toy with a 6' tiller. It'll be geared right on the verge of being too fast, but the hp will overcome that issue.

/ Daddy's old tractor #3  
Farmwithjunk said:
That tractor will toy with a 6' tiller. It'll be geared right on the verge of being too fast, but the hp will overcome that issue.

Good Evenion Bill,
That was the predominant problem with all those era tractors that had 4 speed trans, 1 st gear was still too fast ??? I have read some posts on the Farmall board where they changed 1st gear for a creeper.

/ Daddy's old tractor
Daddy's soil is, well let me re-phrase that, Daddy's rocks have a little soil in them, so I am concerned about it running too fast. I guess he could do a couple inches of depth and then go back and go a little deeper with each pass, which would give it a chance to work the soil.
Is there a better way to prepare the soil for planting, in a garden area that hasn't been planted in a couple years? He thought a set of harrows might do the trick, but I am skeptical of them doing a good enough job. I suggested getting a turning plow or a middle buster(the're cheap) to break up the soil, and then run a tiller thru it. I don't know what to do to counteract the speed problem. Daddy is a good mechanic, but has never worked on a tractor, and at his age, I don't think it is time to start learning. If he was nearby, I would make an adapter for some shorter tires, and that might help, but maybe there is another way.
David from jax

/ Daddy's old tractor #5  
Check the 65 to see which transmission it has (3X2, or 4X2) Either way, they aren't too fast in low/low, just "on the border".

It might be wise to plow, THEN start using the tiller instead of a disc. Makes it easier on the tiller.

Never under-estimate us "old timers". Just when you think we've run through our bag of tricks we find a NEW one and get-r-done.

/ Daddy's old tractor #6  
I run a heavy duty 5ft tiller on my TO-35 and its a load. It will break up new ground but its hard on tractor and tiller.

I would plow the soil, if you have rocks, get a 3 pt hitch disc plow, they work great on rough land and will roll right over the rocks.

Do not think the tiller is going to like rocks and such, I know it does not like under ground stumps. Sets the driveshaft clutch to barking.

Tillers do great work and the tractor should handle a 6ft ok.

However: look at these tools, Ferguson made these tools and they were great, plows leave the land uneven, the smaller the garden spot the worst the problem.

These field cultivators or tillers as Ferguson called them would plow up the dirt, yet leave it level, no plow furrows. I have one and its great, now it will not turn under heavy grass, for that you need a regular plow. Why not get one of each, a man cannot have enough tools for his little Fergy.

Ebay: Item number: 290216435080

Steam & Engine of Australia - The Ferguson System

FERGUSON TILLER. A 7 ft. stump-jump scarifier with spring release tines. Also available are spring tyne and rigid tyne cultivators for row crop work.

/ Daddy's old tractor
Daddy runs his bushhog (4') in second gear, low range, so that tells me that it is probably geared pretty fast, comparatively speaking. I would get bored to death running my John Deere in that gear, so they must be geared differently.
As far as learning to work on tractors, there is absolutely no reason Daddy couldn't work on a tractor. He worked on plane engines for 20 years in the Navy and then went to work for in a truck shop of a major timber company. Last time I went to see him in the shop before he retired, he had a grader transmission in the process of putting it back together, after replacing one of the main shaft gears. If I purchased a dozer, he would be the one I would want working on it.
The biggest problem is Daddy is an old timer, since he was born in '29 and really doesn't need to be wrenching on a tractor for any amount of time. He is probably in better shape than me, though.
I wish he were a little more computer savy, as I would like for him to see what is available on the 'net.
Thanks guys,
David from jax