Oil & Fuel Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight?

/ Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight? #1  

wkheathjr

Bronze Member
Tractor
80's Massey Ferguson 240
Hello,
I have a mid-80's MF 240 and I need to know what # oil filter to use? I have NAPA Gold 3166 for Fuel Filter.

Also, what oil do you recommend using? 10w-30? 10w-40?

What about brake shoe? Can it be found at Tractor Supply Store? I would like to buy good quality at affordable price instead of high priced one.

Please advise!

I am ready to change some fluids this spring and get my tractor ready to work hard this summer bushhogging the field cleaning up debries mess left behind by Loggers few years ago.

Just so you know, I bought this tractor last year and did not obtain owner's manual and the previous owner did not have one. I was hoping I could obtain one in pdf file on net but had no luck so far. Thanks!

/ Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight? #2  
wkheathjr said:
Hello,
I have a mid-80's MF 240 and I need to know what # oil filter to use? I have NAPA Gold 3166 for Fuel Filter.

Also, what oil do you recommend using? 10w-30? 10w-40?

What about brake shoe? Can it be found at Tractor Supply Store? I would like to buy good quality at affordable price instead of high priced one.

Please advise!

I am ready to change some fluids this spring and get my tractor ready to work hard this summer bushhogging the field cleaning up debries mess left behind by Loggers few years ago.

Just so you know, I bought this tractor last year and did not obtain owner's manual and the previous owner did not have one. I was hoping I could obtain one in pdf file on net but had no luck so far. Thanks!

Use 15/40, a brand like Shell Rotella. I use Pennzoil 15/40 and have for years. Your Perkins 3-cylinder will love you for it.

Manuals are all over EBAY for a relatively low buck. Usually $20 or less with shipping.

You'll regret buying "cheap" brake shoes. Get OEM's from AGCO/MF. Not that much difference in price between chinese garbage and OEM. Last set I bought was under $75.

CRS has got me in it's grip this morning, but I THINK that filter is NAPA Gold 1460.

EDIT; Yep, NAPA Gold 1460

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight?
Thank for the reply! I will take your advice on brake shoe and $75 isnt bad for a set of OEM brake shoe! Let's hope it is still in that ballpark!

/ Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight?
Hello, I'm back for more info! :D

I think I am low on hydraulic fluid. Is the measure stick just right under the seat on right side? I am showing I am low and that probably is why 1,000RPM PTO driver isn't getting in gear while the tractor is on but the low RPM PTO will get into gear? THe only way I can use high PTO is if I turn the engine off and put it in gear before I turn it on (I wasn't sure if gear was bad) but now possible due to low hydraulic fluid??

If yes, what do you recommend me buying? First time tractor owner and first time MF owner so go easy on me here!

Also, I am curious on tranny fluid? Power steering fluid? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank in advance for replying and helping!

/ Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight? #5  
Hello, I'm back for more info! :D

I think I am low on hydraulic fluid. Is the measure stick just right under the seat on right side? I am showing I am low and that probably is why 1,000RPM PTO driver isn't getting in gear while the tractor is on but the low RPM PTO will get into gear? THe only way I can use high PTO is if I turn the engine off and put it in gear before I turn it on (I wasn't sure if gear was bad) but now possible due to low hydraulic fluid??

If yes, what do you recommend me buying? First time tractor owner and first time MF owner so go easy on me here!

Also, I am curious on tranny fluid? Power steering fluid? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank in advance for replying and helping!
Your clutch needs adjusting.

/ Massey Ferguson 240 brake, Oil Filter#, and oil weight? #6  
Hello,

Take a look at my thread titled "98' MF 231 Filter References"... Looks like our tractors use the same filters.

As for engine oil, I use Amsoil synthetic 15w-40 down here in South Louisiana.