IMT = Massey Ferguson???

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #1  

Bama67

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 5520H
Hello all, I'm a new member here, but I have lurked for a while. I know there are some pretty sharp guys on here so heres my question. I posted it in the Misc tractor section as well.
I am looking at buying a 1991 IMT 542 42hp. It has a IMR M33/T engine (I think) and the tractor appears to be in great shape, I have only seen pictures online, I am going to look at it this weekend. But my problem is I can find next to nothing on these tractors. It is supposedly almost identical to Massey Ferguson (looks like a 240). But I don't think Masseys used that engine. It is a screaming deal, but I don't want to buy something that I can't get parts for. What do you guys think, any help you can give would be great. Would Massey parts fit this beauty?

IMT542.jpg

tractorengine.jpg

tractorrear.jpg

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #3  
Check my post in the "other brands" forum. IMT parts won't interchange with MF, but they are licensed knock-offs of certain MF models.

(Same link as above post)

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson???
I found that site earlier, it is just that their parts are pretty limited. I just don't want to buy it and the camshaft break in half or some freak thing like that and be screwed. Would you guys buy it? Lets just say the price is 3,700 dollars with a 6ft bush hog and 6ft box blade. Would you?

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #5  
It's cheap hp. But it's a gamble too. I've seen a few sell at auctions and they bring $2500 to $3000 (+ or -) in that general condition without any implements. Not a great investment, but still a decent cheap tractor.

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #6  
Bama67 said:
I found that site earlier, it is just that their parts are pretty limited. I just don't want to buy it and the camshaft break in half or some freak thing like that and be screwed. Would you guys buy it? Lets just say the price is 3,700 dollars with a 6ft bush hog and 6ft box blade. Would you?

No. Too much other old iron around here for $500-$1000 more that you can easily get parts for

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #7  
I would look around for a MF 135 - diesel if you can find it, see how the price compares, 3 cyinder gas models are also OK, but will use a bit more fuel.

If something breaks, you go to the local Agro dealer and pickup the parts.

That option is worth it weight in gold when you have problems and with all older tractors you will need parts sometime.

Local equipment dealer said a guy came in and ask if he could get him a axle housing for one of these little China made tractors. He had paid $3500 for little tractor, the axle housing was going to cost between $2-2.5K.

The dude was screwed!!!

Just my 2 cents!!!!

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #8  
i have a friend who has a 539 imt...it has about 1200 hrs.... he had a head gasket leaking once the massey dealer figured out witch gasket..and fixed it ..all in all it has been a good tractor . his has a perkins just like massey ferguson....hope this helps bruce

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #9  
I need timing marks diagram for 1966 model 533 IMT 3 cylinder diesel can anybody help?

/ IMT = Massey Ferguson??? #10  
Just updating with what little info that I know about IMT in case others search the threads looking for it. I have a 1987 IMT 542 Deluxe that I've had numerous issues with but will one day sort them out since the tractor is one of the few things I have left from farming with my Dad as a youngster.

IMT is basically a Massey knock off. However, few (if any) will directly match up with a direct MF tractor model. From what I understand IMT bought many retired molds from MF and the IMT models are a mix-match build of parts from these molds. Some models were available with Perkins diesel engines which will make drive train parts somewhat easier to come across.

One of the biggest troubles with finding and getting parts is that during the Kosovo war, the IMT plant in Yugoslovia was hit with a bomb that basically destroyed the entire facility. Several years after being destroyed the plant was rebuilt and production was resumed. During the period that the plant was (insert whatever term you like for 'non-existant') most US distributors moved on with other ventures. Most did not elect to renew any interest when the plant did come back into some form of existence.