What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF?

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #1  

wkheathjr

Bronze Member
Tractor
80's Massey Ferguson 240
My tractor is 1998 MF 240 and it needs Permatrans 3 Hydraulic Oil and 5-gallon will run me $62 if I buy it at the dealer..

But today, I was looking for a bolt with long thread for my RM59 mower and I saw few selections of hydraulic oil at Big Blue Store for almost half the price. The price sounds good but a bit skeptical that it will damage tranny/pto drive but dealer has a tend to overcharge so I figure I would ask.

I forgot the name brand but if I can remember, one was white with black text "Super Trac.." for $32 and other one was $35 and it said can be used in MF that requires 'Permatrans 3'. That $35 one is green with black text. I'm low on fluid and need to add more so I was wondering what you guys will have to say.

Go easy on me as it is my first tractor and doing my best to do what is right and make a good investment on keeping it for long term. :D

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #2  
Personally, I would stick with Permatran. It cost a bit more, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. And your tractor will love you for it.

Take care, and welcome aboard.
WIll

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #3  
I would stick with what was recommended from the factory. Guess the second most expensive thing to repair on a tractor after the motor would be the transmission/hydraulic system.

My little TO-35 Fergy is over 50+ years old, I only put the required oil in its transmission/hydraulic system and its still runs and works great.

Have heard of others that put motor oil, grease, pond water, etc; in their tractors trans/hyd systems and swear it just works great.

Good for them, but not in my house.

Buy the right stuff and when you are out working your tractor you will not be hearing that funny noise coming from the transmission area and wondering just why you bought that cheap China made oil.

Good luck,

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #4  
Permatran for my 1533.

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #5  
I use synthetic, Amsoil ATH. Much better lubrication in cold weather and shorter warm up times.

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #6  
didn't he say the label said meets mf permatrans specs. it seems like it would have the right specs. maybe not the same quality????jon

/ What hydraulic oil fluid do you use for your MF? #7  
I have always used Permatran. I have seen to many will fit transmission fluids that had to be drained when problems developed after they were added. Then the problems would go away when Permatran was put back in.