GC2300 MMM and front mount

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount #1  

LarryS

Tractor
MF GC2300
Gentlemen:

I have a problem with my GC2300 MMM not lifting on one side. I have the adjustments set all the way they can go and still the left side barely lifts.

There are two potential problem areas: one is the front mount only having one pin. It looks like the pin in the left side of the picture might have been left off during assembly, or it was never meant to be there. There's a hole there for a pin, and the holes do move slightly when the MMM is raised and lowered.

The other potential is the cutting height adjustment. As you can see from my pictures, there's a LOT of play in this and I'm betting there's a part missing on the bottom end of that rod.

Any thoughts as to what's missing? I have more pictures but they didn't turn out too good. I hope the attachments work properly!

Larry

Attachments

• SUNP0147.JPG
    SUNP0147.JPG
    740.8 KB · Views: 251
  • SUNP0148.JPG
    SUNP0148.JPG
    627.5 KB · Views: 202
  • SUNP0149.JPG
    SUNP0149.JPG
    616.4 KB · Views: 181
  • SUNP0154.JPG
    SUNP0154.JPG
    699.4 KB · Views: 235
   / GC2300 MMM and front mount #2  
I don't know exactly what the problem is but I do know that you are not missing a pin on the left side per the picture. Mine does not lift up the left side as high as the right side. I does level out in the lowered position.

I think you might be onto something with the height adjustment knob.

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount #3  
The front mount only uses the one pin. That being said, I bought another pin and use it so that the front has one pin on each side.

You definitely have something amiss on that that adjustment dial. Mine will only adjust and slide up and down, not out as yours does.

DEWFPO

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount
That's good to know about the front pin. I agree with putting my own in there. If there's a hole and it's moving, I think a pin couldn't hurt.

The adjustment knob is really loose, just flopping around. There's a cylindrical "nut" on the bottom which fits into arcing slots of sorts. Tough to see in there. Does the cylindrical nut have a threaded hole in it or attaches to something else??

I found a small cotter key on the top of the MMM. It was still bent properly which makes me think that whatever it was holding experienced a catastrophic failure.

I don't know about you, but I HATE to find parts of my tractor lying about. Especially if I didn't mean for it to come apart!

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount #5  
I don't use mine for mowing anymore (and the tractor is in the shop so I can't verify) but if I recall correctly the actuator is connected on the right side with the lifting arm.

I spent a good deal of time leveling the mower and it seemed as time went on, it was harder to get level.

Shortly before I took the tractor out of mowing duty, it looked to me like either the pin or the hole on the left side of the shaft was getting worn because no matter what, the left side lagged the right and I noticed play on the left side (ie: shaft turned but left side delayed in lifting).

Sorry I can't verify what I am saying but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount #6  
The pin hole on the mid lift linkage is becoming enlarged where lift shaft goes thru the tractor frame (see top arm of lift on 2nd and 3rd pictures). Have seen this a few times. Easiest fix is to remove pin, drill out pin hole and install larger pin.

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount #7  
Check the front hanger, the cross bars on mine the welds came loose. I re welded the the bars and told my dealer about them. He had that problem on the ones on the lot and had already re welded them.

Doug

OK so there's a pin hole that is enlarging. Is that the oval one so obvious in the picture? Or is that on the horizontal shaft going from one side to the other? If both sides are on the same shaft, and that shaft turns the same amount on both ends of course, then you'd think both arms would lift the same amount. Unless the one arm IS wobbling around on the shaft.

I'll have to look for busted welds. I had the problem with the wheel bracket welds breaking. Caught those in time thanks to this discussion board!

This still doesn't explain why the adjustment knob is flapping though.

/ GC2300 MMM and front mount #9  
LarryS said:
OK so there's a pin hole that is enlarging. Is that the oval one so obvious in the picture?

No

LarryS said:
Or is that on the horizontal shaft going from one side to the other? If both sides are on the same shaft, and that shaft turns the same amount on both ends of course, then you'd think both arms would lift the same amount. Unless the one arm IS wobbling around on the shaft.

Pull the pin on the left side of shaft and see if the pin and/or hole is worn.

LarryS said:
This still doesn't explain why the adjustment knob is flapping though.

Probably doesn't.

OK this is where things get interesting. Found two busted parts, one is my own fault I believe. Do not attempt this at home!

First, the MMM height adjustment shaft broke right at the hole where the cotter pin goes in. Found the cotter key still bent and intact so that's obvious. Part cost about $30, the knob is separate and it's a bit of treat to take off without mangling or busting it. Does anyone know how to adjust the adjustment shaft? The owners manual is worthless, it must be in a shop manual which I don't have.

Second, while I had the thing up in the air with me looking at the busted shaft through bifocals, I raised and lowered the MMM. Well a funny not so funny thing happened. Do you see the lowest blue/gray/black link that goes into the spring loaded pins in the red part of the MMM? Well those darn links reversed on me and were horizontal and not vertical. I didn't realize it and yep busted a $60 part. What broke was the two arm piece on the right side where the link from the 3PH comes in. Broke one of the 1/2" or so studs right off at the weld. Actually the weld held but the metal didn't. Wow. Figured it out when I moved the tractor, found the stud lying there. Stared at the whole shebang wondering what the ????? until I noticed those links were looking funny.

Wife didn't think it was funny.

LarryS