Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1428

Default 1428 Hydro lockout woes

I have a 1428 hydro that is a great tractor except that if I forget and turn the tractor off in in gear I cannot get it out of gear. I then have to restart it by manually bypassing the safety switch which requires me to be off the tractor and standing in front of the left wheel when I turn the key. As soon as it starts up I can put it into neutral, turn the engine off and re-engage the saftey. Fortunately I forget very rarely and I always have the FEL down with the throttle low so I am less likely to get run over but this is getting old. I had it "fixed" under warranty once thanks to some help from this website back in 2006 but the problem never really went away. From my last discussion with the dealer they indicated that they have little to offer in solutions. Anybody with any thoughts?

Tractor
    mf 1428v & 1464 fel

Default Re: 1428 Hydro lockout woes

I have a 1428 hydro and have often stopped the engine while in gear. All I ever do is rock back-and-forth in the seat a bit while trying to move the gear shifter. She pops out of gear all the time. I have a lot of hills and this happens more times than I care to admit I never knew about the bypass and I'm glad I didn't.

I do wish there was a better way. Shifting should work regardless of where the tractor is. I thought I had read somewhere that this was just the way hydros were - it wasn't a MF thing but rather a hydro thing.
    Massey Ferguson 1428v, 1464 FEL, Woods PRD6000, Woods BB60, and 7' rear blade.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    AGCO ST30X

I have an AGCO St30x , identical to the 1428v and i do it all the time and have to rock back and forth and pull on the lever at the same time. I too would like to figure out some kind of fix for this.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1428

I am resurrecting this thread because the problem is consistently back. If my MF1428v tractor is in either the "turtle" or "rabbit1" gear and I turn the tractor off I cannot get it out of gear and therefore cannot start it because the starter lockout won't let it start in gear. I have to manually bypass the starter lockout so I can start it in gear which is not the safest thing to do. (You have to be off the tractor standing in front of the left rear wheel to do it.) Occasionally when I realize that I just turned the tractor off in gear (or my three year old has just "helped" Daddy turn the tractor off while in gear) I can cycle the bucket and release the hydraulic pressure which frees the gear lever to move to neutral. This only works just as the engine stops. Unfortunately I have an uncommonly weak dealer here who cannot figure the problem out. Any thoughts? Is there (or where is there) a pressure release valve that is supposed to release the hydraulic/hydrostatic pressure when the tractor is turned off normally?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1526 Hydrostat

Hmmmm. I have a 1526 that is hard to shift as I always leave mine in gear when I shut it off. It is easier if I have have it in two wheel drive other than four wheel drive. I only have 110 hours on mine so I was chocking it up as just being stiff. Of course we don't have a clutch. My last hydrostatic did. You only had to use it to engage the PTO. But it was nice to have when you couldn't change gears.
    George

Tractor

Question: Have you tried to work your hydrostatic pedals back and forth while trying to shift it?
    George

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Man, that problem sounds like a bummer. I am glad my kubota B26 starts in gear. It has a lock out on the hydro-pedal that needs to be in neutral position but gearshift lever can be anywhere. It will also start without being in the seat although if the hydro pedal is pushed it dies. I like it that way. It is plenty safe for average users and allows me to crank it and move the backhoe levers from the ground which is handy as heck when changing out the bucket.
    If I were in your predicament, I would maybe look at doing something like that to the MF so it would start in gear IF the hydro pedal was in neutral.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1423 Hydrostat

I have a 1423 hydro, an never had that problem. Sorry to hear about that.
    Massey 1423, 1462 loader, wallenstein Ranch ho gx620, with subframe mount.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by mguitas
    I have a 1423 hydro, an never had that problem. Sorry to hear about that.
    Does your tractor have a clutch? Not for sure when they changed to an electronic clutch for the PTO.
    George

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1428

Nope. No clutch. I do rock the hydro pedal. Occasionally right as I shut down and realize what I did rocking the hydro pedal will help but cycling the FEL works more often. You can feel the pressure drop when it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast